The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Shaffer's1950, Bill Hanlon, Jon G), 125 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,139
Posts1,056,454
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#30129 05/13/2004 8:20 AM
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 990
A
Member
Member
A Offline
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 990
As I built the flat bed for my truck, the local steel guy got me pumped up to make my 9x6 deck out of 3/16s thick diamond plate. However, I found when I got home I could hardly move the plates! I started to think about it and decided I really didn't want an extra 600 lbs that the sheets weighed, nevermind the $440 that they cost. Took em back and made a wood bed instead (on steel 2x2s 16 inches apart). While driving though with the plates I noticed the clutch was a bit rough starting out in 2nd (i have the granny 1st 4 speed) and the brakes didn't feel so good.

I had adjusted out my brakes RONG and redid the process following the shop guide for major brake adjustment.

long story short: I bought the www.praisedynobrake.com semi-kevlar brake shoes awhile back for my fronts and now could finally test them. They work great. The truck stops like it has disc brakes. If you are concerned about your brakes and considering discs, you might check these brakes out. I use about 1" of brake travel to stop the unloaded truck. That leaves a lot of brake travel. I jumped on the brakes today and got the rears to prematurely lock up. (no abs wink ) I think with a load on there to hold em down, it would have stopped even better.

I also have a ECI 7" powerboosted dual master (the early vette's used the same size master cylinder bore as the 1 ton truck) so it doesn't need a huge foot on em to stop. I also replaced all the brake lines.

Your results my vary, but I will tell you, my brakes work way better than I had expected. The brake shoes are pricey, but I am glad I spent the $.

#30130 05/14/2004 7:37 PM
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 188
D
Member
Member
D Offline
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 188
Man I've been waiting for months to find out how they work. THX!

#30131 05/14/2004 11:38 PM
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 252
Y
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Y Offline
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 252
I've been seriously considering them as well. But just to clarify, you installed them on the front only, or both front and rear? Did you use their linings (drums) or the stock drums? Very curious, thanks, Tony

#30132 05/15/2004 4:09 AM
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 379
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 379
How much does it cost for a set of shoes per axle (2 pairs)?

#30133 05/15/2004 2:36 PM
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 252
Y
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Y Offline
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 252
Splash, after reviewing the website above, I am not sure they can be bought for one axle. The "Stage 1" kit that does both axles and includes the better springs and hardware starts at $225.00. According to them, the cryogenically treated semi kevlar dissipates heat much more rapidly. But I am still not to sure how that relates to the wear factor on the stock drums. This has peaked my interest, and I will call them when I get some time on Tuesday morning to get their take on it. But would still like to hear more from the "real" world.

#30134 05/16/2004 5:49 AM
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 990
A
Member
Member
A Offline
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 990
Sorry to take so long to reply - updated my computer - successfully!

Anyhoo - they don't fade - at least they haven't yet, and I did NOT change the drums as finding them for the 1 ton is a PITR. Plus I was tired of spending dough on em.

My truck came with 5.26 gears, and I thought I might be changing the whole mess out (fortunately got some 4.11 gears from a maniacal old truck nerd) so I didn't pop for the rear brake shoes.

I only bought the shoes and you can do the same, or get the hardware at local shops - again it was an issue finding one ton stuff.

My primary concern was to make the brakes good to use in modern traffic, without loosing the load capability of my straight axle. I considered many options but just swapping a couple of brake pads was certainly the easiest one.

You can't get stuff relined from them, its a gov site, and they can only send out new stuff.

If I think of anything else to add, I will! wink

So far, very pleased. I am betting they cut the drums way less, and I also bet my drums are out of spec, but, that's life.

#30135 05/17/2004 6:46 AM
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 990
A
Member
Member
A Offline
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 990
Today loaded the truck up with a big load of scrap - didn't hardly even need to use 1st - but did anyway. Brakes still worked very well - hardly knew there was a load on the truck - other than now it finally rides decent....

Arnstein & Son....(click me)

Load includes two tractor mower decks cut up. btw, if you are in a humorous mood and have powerpoint - email me for my presentation... grin


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0