| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,115 Posts1,056,633 Members48,450 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | |
#28503 06/19/2004 1:42 AM | Joined: Aug 2002 Posts: 127 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Aug 2002 Posts: 127 | Haven't posted much lately but I am back to work on my truck and I need some real stovebolt expertise here!
Anyone out there put a later model bellhousing on a 41-46 chassis crossmember?
My 41 has the nice flat level mounts on the bellhousing but since I am upgrading to a '73 Saginaw 4spd I have to switch to the later bellhousing. I have a bellhousing from a 54 that will work (thanks OldSub!) but it has the angled mounting surfaces and the big funky mounting pads.
Should I: A. make some kind of adapter? B. build a new crossmember to use the original mounts? C. make a new crossmember and use some other type of mounts? D. chop up an original crossmember from a 54/similar? | | |
#28504 06/21/2004 10:24 PM | Joined: Aug 2002 Posts: 127 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Aug 2002 Posts: 127 | bueller? nobody?
oh well yesterday I just decided to cut the stock cross member out and am making a new one.
I drove out to Buffalo Ent. today to get some front end stuff done and learned that a 47-53 x-member would have worked on my stock crossmember! (did not know that) The good news is by swapping out to a 54 and later style housing I can switch to any of the later bellhousings and I may want to throw in a 250/292 anyway. | | |
#28505 06/22/2004 8:38 PM | Joined: Oct 2001 Posts: 3,458 Extreme Gabster | | Extreme Gabster Joined: Oct 2001 Posts: 3,458 | How about a '50-53 bellhousing? Mine is flat, unlike the '54- up.
Oops, too late, sorry.
Paint & Body Shop moderator A lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic. | | |
#28506 06/23/2004 10:00 PM | Joined: Jan 2000 Posts: 2,074 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2000 Posts: 2,074 | I've ran the Saginaw and now T-5 behind my stock 46 bell housing using an adaptor plate. Heard Buffalo has them (see his ad on inliners.org site) or you can bolt right up a 51 pickup bell housing which the saginaw will bolt to, used same 41 mounts on the sides. | | |
#28507 07/01/2004 3:06 AM | Joined: Sep 2002 Posts: 153 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2002 Posts: 153 | oops sorry
I posted my bellhousing question on the wrong post. Please look at the post on the cluth and disc for my question about the trans and bellhousing dilema.
Geez...what a rookie. 1946 Chevy Half Ton ('56 235, '86 T5, '79 Camaro Z28 rear end, working on the '85 Jaguar XJ6 IFS) 1976 Margay Panther X, MC91B | | |
| |
| |