The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (pdlightning, ndkid275), 136 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,139
Members48,435
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#27542 04/15/2005 11:59 PM
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1
P
Junior Member
Junior Member
P Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1
I've never done a carb/intake manifold swap before and was told that I'd have to "jet down" this four barrel Rochester since my engine, the original 283, has a 2 barrel Rochester. Is this true? A member of another forum that I am part of said something about the carb being advanced enought to adjust for the engine it was atop of. Something about the weighted flap on top or something. I've been unsuccessful in getting a reponce from him since. Anyway, is there any truth to that and if not other than trial and error how would I go about getting the correct jets to "jet it down." Also, did these engines ever have a four barrel offered in 1966? Is so could I jet go get those jets?


PanelRodder
www.brigham.net/~jacobh/barndoors/index.htm
1953 GMC Panel Truck
1966 Chevrolet C10 Pickup
#27543 04/16/2005 12:46 AM
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
283's as often came w/ the 4 barrel as w/ the 2 thru their whole production run, depending on the application, and the one you pick up will likely work fine once you get things adjusted

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
#27544 04/16/2005 2:55 AM
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 64
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 64
I pulled an original 4bbl intake off the 283 that I just rebuilt. I put a new intake on the rebuild but I had the old one cleaned up & squared away by the machine shop. It's like new & ready to go. If you need one, let me know.


Bodega Bob
http://www.submarinestore.com

Where's my tin foil hat?!?
#27545 04/16/2005 3:00 AM
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 64
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 64
P.S. It had a Holley 650 on it with the jets in it that come with the carb at purchase. It was on there for many years & the engine seemed to handle it just fine.


Bodega Bob
http://www.submarinestore.com

Where's my tin foil hat?!?
#27546 04/16/2005 5:30 AM
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,798
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,798
The 283's never had Q-jet carbs, because they hadn't been invented yet. It's a great carburetor, but you will definitely need to do some rejetting. The jets will need to be richer, not leaner, however, and the float level will need to be set a little higher. Small-displacement engines develop less venturi vacuum, because they're flowing less air volume at any particular RPM, so the jets need to be larger. Get a set of numbered drill bits, and start increasint the main jet size a few thousandths at a time until the throttle response and power suits you. A flow bench and a chassis dyno will help a lot during your experimentation, if you happen to have those items. Otherwise, it's all "cut and try" work. I've seen a .005" change in jet size get a 20 HP increase during a dyno run.

A Quadrajet calibrated for a 305 engine will be pretty close to the jet sizes you need for the 283, and might work OK with just a higher float level setting. You will probably need to tighten the air valve spring a little to prevent bogging when the secondary throttles open, also. I'd try that approach first.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
#27547 04/16/2005 11:25 PM
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
I agree with HRL. The Q-jet is a great carb for driveability & fuel mileage. One from a 305 should work just right. It is easy to adjust the secondary air valve to match your engine. They are a dime a dozen at swap meets but you will have to put a kit it. Look for one from the late 70s to early 80s with the round choke without the electronic engine controls. If it doesn,t have an electric choke you can put an electric choke coil on it.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
#27548 04/16/2005 11:35 PM
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 162
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 162
I have a put 3 different q jets on my 283 that I rebuilt. I run a turbo 350. Teh first one I got from the parts store and just asked for a carb for a 67 chevrolet 283 which is what it came from. It worked great. It got filled with tank crud recently. I replaced the tank and put one on that had manual linkeage. It worked great. I had a friend give me one with automatic linkeage. It worked even better. I think they are pretty forgiving.


53 3100
1929 Ford Roadster Pickup
1934 Ford Pickup
68 Plymouth Satellite RR Clone 2 Door
My Fleet
#27549 04/20/2005 4:56 PM
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 64
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 64
As I was digging thru the shop manual for my 58, I stumbled across a maintenance entry for the 4bbl Rochesters. So FWIW, they were available as early as 1958 on the 283 engine.


Bodega Bob
http://www.submarinestore.com

Where's my tin foil hat?!?
#27550 04/20/2005 7:53 PM
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,798
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,798
4-BBL carbs have been available as far back as the first V-8's, but the Quadrajet didn't appear until 1966. The first Chevy engine equipped with a Q-jet was the 1966 Caprice 396, I believe, with most GM engines using them by 67. The previous 4-barrels were either Rochester 4GC's, or Carter WCFB's. The early models are a pain in the butt to work with, especially the 4GC!
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
#27551 04/21/2005 1:58 AM
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 52
G
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
G Offline
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 52
Just need to throw in my two cents on the Q-jet discussion. When they work, I love 'em. When they don't, they're about as difficult to tune as anything. They're pretty much meant to be tuned from the factory. If you go to the parts store and ask for one for a 4.3L v-6 (85-86 monte carlo) it will be 500 cfm, rather than 785 cfm, which is the next size up. The 4.3 is 262 cid, so it should pretty closely match the 283's needs


1946 GMC 1/2 ton
1967 Chevy 1/2 ton

This old truck sure looks neat, but where are the heated seat controls?!?
#27552 04/22/2005 2:47 PM
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 64
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 64
HRL - my bad. I read the original post without paying enuff attention to the topic header. Thought he might have been using the terms interchangably.

I'll just go re-jet my cerebellum now!


Bodega Bob
http://www.submarinestore.com

Where's my tin foil hat?!?

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0