Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,126 Posts1,056,353 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | |
#26873 08/23/2002 11:41 PM | Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 8 Member | | Member Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 8 | Can someone tell me if a Pontiac 326 c.i. and 336 c.i. engine are the same and do the parts interchange? I found a web site that says they are. If that is the case I might be able to save a little cash in rebuilding the engine in my 59 GMC. | | |
#26874 08/26/2002 2:45 PM | Joined: Jul 2000 Posts: 962 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2000 Posts: 962 | The Pontiac 326 was produced in '67 and '68. It was the grocery-getter motor in Poncho full-size, and the base V8 in '67-68 Firebird. Usually mated to a 2-speed SuperTurbine 300. This engine has 3.718" bore and a 3.75" stroke. The main journal diameter was 3.00" All '59-'79 pontiac motors used a water pump mounted into the timing cover, a valley pan, non-adjustable valvetrain and a reverse-rotation CCW distributor. I doubt that parts from a Pontiac engine would fit any other engine family. If you find out otherwise, please let me know. Good luck Chip
Preaching the Hot Rod Gospel according to the 4-stroke apostles:
Suck, Squish, Fire and Fumes
| | |
#26875 08/26/2002 4:21 PM | Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 5,221 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 5,221 | I sent the information over to my dad, who has been in Pontiacs since the early 50's. This is what he came up with.
I found proof - the 1963 326 Pontiac engine was indeed 336 ci. And '63 was the first year it was used in the Pontiac cars. My Sealed Power catalog lists this:
326 Engine: 1963 Bore was 3 25/32" which is 3.781 and the stroke is 3.75, for a displacement of 336.8 ci.
1964-67 - Bore was 3 23/32" which is 3.719, and the stroke is 3.75, for 325.89 ci.
We have been associated with Pontiacs for many years, and have good reference material on them. The first year for the Pontiac "326" engine in a Pontiac car was 1963. That engine was actually 336.8 cubes with a bore of 3.781 and stroke of 3.75.
The Pontiac "326" engine used from 1964 to 1967 (last year of use) had a bore of 3.719 and stroke of 3.75 for a displacement of 325.89 ci.
We are not positive the 1963 336 ci was identical to the GMC 336 but believe it was. Many other parts other then block and pistons would have been identical between the two engines.
If you need more help, let us know. Joe | | |
#26876 08/26/2002 4:36 PM | Joined: Jul 2000 Posts: 962 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2000 Posts: 962 | Hi Joe, That is some good info! I wrench corrected. How come none of my books or websites I found list a 326 for 64-66? All I find for '60-66 is a 316, 347, 370, 389 or 421 motors. Was '68 the last year for 326, or first year for Pontiac 350? I thought that each division of GM had its own powertrain engineering group until early 80s? I didn't know many parts would swap between Poncho, GMC, Olds, etc. Is the crankshaft the same between a 326,350,389 and 400? 3" mains, 2.25" rods, 3.75" stroke? I also got that email you sent. I enjoyed the pics of that LeMans racer! Good luck Chip
Preaching the Hot Rod Gospel according to the 4-stroke apostles:
Suck, Squish, Fire and Fumes
| | |
#26877 08/26/2002 7:38 PM | Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 164 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 164 | I had a "326" '63 Tempest in college. Had that goofy swing axle trans/axle in the rear with a 3 speed. Pretty quick for those days & only a 2 barrel carb. Rear suspension was majorlly squirrely and as I recall it had one rear brake that would only quit self adjusting when the wheel was locked up. Always had to budget enough "klicks" in before going out at night to cover the number of back ups one might do during to coarse of an evening. We'll call that "Generous Motors, the Developing Years"...... | | |
#26878 08/27/2002 6:54 AM | Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 5,221 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 5,221 | The cranks on the small engines are all the same size. The material and quality differ through the years. The 67-70 400's were the better cranks. The newer 400 got a little weaker as the years went on.
I don't know why the books don't list the early 326, none of my did, but I remember seeing the 326 badge on the Tempest.
Pontiac parts will only work in Pontiac engines, the GMC used a Pontiac engine for many years. The early years it was the 6 cyl, then the V8. Joe | | |
| |