The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Ponchogl, MikeE, Bill Hanlon, 1 invisible), 162 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,144
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#26861 01/23/2005 6:05 AM
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 135
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 135
Hello! I'm in need of some serious advice regarding my 52 GMC suburban. It is stone stock with a 248 and only 80000 origional miles. I also have a 68 chevy van 109 wb heavy duty with finned brake drums , 6 lug wheels, 12 bolt rear and factory 4 speed col shifted borg warner t 10. Thinking of swapping rear and tranny converting obviously to open drive. Does any one know if the t10 is a bolt in? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! I also am wondering if I could swap the front brakes to the finned ones from the van. Thanks, Smitty

#26863 01/23/2005 5:04 PM
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 135
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 135
Hey Joe, Thanks for the input. I've owned this van since 1980 when it was a one owner. I restored it then and slowly inproved it over the years. I stopped driving it about 200000 miles later. It has body rust in lower parts, but floors and hinge areas are excellent. I've watched auctions on ebay for old vans and they don't usually bring too much. Wanna buy it? I just figured that if the stuff would fit my 52, I would strip her out, remove the doors, and have her carcass hauled off. Sincerely, Smitty

#26865 01/24/2005 3:37 AM
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
Quote
Originally posted by TooMany2count:
you might have to get an adaptor to go from ur mtr to the bellhousing to make it work
You should not need an adapter for that transmission. I'm wondering if you could adapt the 4-speed column shift to your Suburban?

I parted-out a 70-something Chevy van a year ago. It was way too wide to use the rear axle under something like your Suburban. You might want to do some measuring before going to the trouble to take it apart.


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
#26866 01/24/2005 4:02 AM
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 135
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 135
Hey Old Sob, Thanks for the info! As I am not too smart at times and have been away from serious car stuff for 10 yrs or so would I be correct in assuming that the splines on the T10 will slide right into the clutch and pilot bushing? I plan on doing lots of measuring on the rear before taking anything apart! I will look into possibly adopting the whole collum and possibly steering box as well.

#26867 01/24/2005 9:24 PM
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
I would not be surprised if the splines and pilot bushing are correct, but if you have it this far apart why not replace that clutch disk now...

Chevy van steering columns are popular for this swap because column key switches did not show up in vans until much later than everything else. That doesn't matter in your case.

Your van steering box is probably not the one to use for this swap. It was designed to sit at the wrong angle for your truck. There is a kit that puts a pickup steering box on these trucks. I'd check into that if you want to keep the stock suspension and gain power steering.

It may be possible to swap the front brakes, but I'd suggest going disks instead.


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
#26868 01/25/2005 12:20 AM
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 135
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 135
Old Sub and 3105, Thanks for the additional info. Looks like I've got alot of thinking to do before getting any deeper into this swap. Thankyou both for the input, it is very helpful!! Sincerely ,Smitty


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0