The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (1955 1 Series, Hanks custodian, cmayna), 155 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,114
Posts1,056,287
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 52
S
Member
Member
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 52
I am trying to locate information on converting my 1951 chev 3100 from a leaf rear end to coils. I have a totally rebuilt 9" f*rd with coil pads ready to put on my frame- somehow. Any info on adding a cross member for trailing arms and such would be GREATLY appreciated!!! The frame is totally stripped and ready for the work to be done- just need a little re-assurance I won't have any serious problems.

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 662
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 662
You're talking about a conversion to a 3-link, 4-link, or 5-link suspension. It doesn't matter whether you use coils or coil-overs, since the control arms are the "crux of the biscuit." The control arms can't be installed as is convenient - Geometry is everything. Will a later coil/control arm setup drop-in? I doubt it.

Do some web searches on 4-link suspensions. A lot of sites show setups for racing. I don't know what changes to geometry you'd want for street, but perhaps a real expert will weigh-in.

Check this setup
http://www.progressiveautomotive.com/triangul.htm

Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 52
S
Member
Member
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 52
Thanks for the info, I am going to try and use the original setup from which the axle came from, the Mercury Montego Wagon 1976 3 link setup. The rear end is all ready to go as far as brackets- now- just to find an old Merc wagon with the control arms and a couple of angles to measure.
I can tell this is going to be reeeeel interesting figurin' out. Oh well, I'll get there.


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0