The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Steelonsteel, Hotrod Lincoln), 136 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,109
Posts1,056,261
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#26248 12/15/2002 5:00 PM
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 9
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 9
I'm looking at putting a 261 in the place of a smoking 228.I made some quick measurements of overall engine length and overall engine mount dimensions.I found that the gmc 228 is considerably longer than the 261 chevy.I'm really not sure how to proceed.If anyone has ever made this swap and could help me out it would be appreciated.If its going to cost me a bunch to adapt the chevy 261 to the gmc frame I might as well just do a ring job on the 228 gmc which is the original engine to this truck.I have a fenton intake exhaust setup that I could put on the 228 to fancy it up a bit.HELP


bob black
#26249 12/15/2002 5:47 PM
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 316
G
Member
Member
G Offline
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 316
AFAIK, the GMC mill is about 1-3/4" longer than the Chev. six.
Since the GMC engine compartment is longer; you should not encounter any clearance problems with regard to the water pump and fan clearing the radiator.
Engine mounting is another thing.........you may have to fabricate a mount; since the GMC frame is different than a Chevy (they weren't "homogenized" until 1967).

I vote for a ring and bearing job for your 228 or find a 248,270 or 302 to bolt in.
Then you would have a "drop-in" situation smile cool .

Try Egge parts. They will send you a catalog and a free quote on the parts you need to save your 228.


*** GMC ***
#26250 12/16/2002 2:58 AM
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 54
L
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
L Offline
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 54
Bob,

STAY GMC!!!!
The jimmy is a real TRUCK motor!
Anyway, I put a 261 in my '50 GMC 1/2 ton for awhile. It's not hard to do, just fab the front mount but you will have to cut a little out of the cross member to clear the front mount bolts. Personally, I'd stay GMC. Much better performance potential than the chevys (just look at the chamber). I'm puttin' a 302 in mine.

My .02


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0