The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (5 Window 9434, Jon G, John Dlugos, jmoore, moparguy), 96 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,120
Posts1,056,325
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 30
T
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 30
Is there a good upgrade for a Rochester B carburetor on an inline 235? I have about 1500 miles on the engine since rebuild, and the engine is bone stock except for hydraulic lifters.

I replaced the original carburetor with a rebuilt / refurbished unit from Kragen when I had the engine redone, and driveability seems to have suffered since then.

I seem to be running okay around town, but at at freeway speeds (60 - 70 mph) it feels like the carb leans out a bit and power tapers off. (I have more experience with Webers, so it could just be the feel / sound of the Rochester carb and I'm not familiar with it yet.)

Any ideas on where to start? I'm open to any options to shore up performance a bit. Is there a Rochester FAQ somewhere that I can check out?

Thanks!


1961 Chevrolet K10
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 177
K
Kip Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 177
There are a few different types of one barrel roch carbs. My '54 ran a little better with a newer I think it's like a '62. Has a bigger top throat opening with a center screw for the air filter. Also this type has a built in opening for a small fuel filter. You going 60-70 with your 235? What vehicle you got?
Beunos Noches, Kip


Write On The Cross At The Head Of My Grave
To Whiskey And Women Here Lies A Poor Slave

Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 30
T
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 30
Quote
Originally posted by Kip:
There are a few different types of one barrel roch carbs. My '54 ran a little better with a newer I think it's like a '62. Has a bigger top throat opening with a center screw for the air filter. Also this type has a built in opening for a small fuel filter. You going 60-70 with your 235? What vehicle you got?
Beunos Noches, Kip
At second glance, I think that the carb is a Rochester C, as stamped on the top front of the carb. It does have the center screw air filter, but no built-in filter. I have a 1961 Chevy K10 pickup, and top speed seems to be around 80 - I only drive that fast in the truck when I'm trying to get out of someone's way, and only in very short bursts wink The gearing is really, really low, and I tend to avoid freeways at all costs any more.

Based on your reply, is the current performance in line with what I should expect? I dont' have a frame of reference for the motor, in terms of performance or fuel economy. Thanks!

1961 K10


1961 Chevrolet K10
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 21
O
Member
Member
O Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 21
Troy,
Have you considered a Roch. 2G. They are great carb and I'm sure an adapter would be easy to find or make-up.
Bob smile


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0