The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (Phak1, Bill Hanlon, Greg_H, dt235sd, Jon G, Oswald), 131 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,090
Posts1,056,384
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#24777 07/25/2004 2:08 AM
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 9
J
New Guy
New Guy
J Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 9
I have 53 GMC with an original 302 six that I rebuilt and the old rope seal was too loose and leaks right out of the gates, (in other words, as soon as I started running it) This is my main truck and I have been running it for a few years spewing oil all over the place. Any ideas for fixing it? Are there any new different types of seals that would replace the old rope style and would make pulling the engine again worth it?

#24778 07/26/2004 12:09 AM
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
If you mean that you have to pull the engine to replace it, that is not strictly true. There is a quick way of doing it, in the tech section which may or may not work for you. Another method is to remove the transmission, oil pan, front cover and lower pull the crankshaft down with the rods still attached. That gives enough room to do a conventional type replacement.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
#24779 07/27/2004 7:24 PM
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 9
J
New Guy
New Guy
J Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 9
Thanks Truckermix, I know that one can do an inplace replacement of the rear main, but in practical use, I have found that it is difficult to do well. I know how difficult it is to do it on a stand and get the pan gasket well placed and sealed. My main concern is that I get a seal that is going to seal. I used the standard rope seal and it was too small. I know cause I made the mandrel that is specified on the shop manual to drive the seal in and used a razor to trim it. When I used the mandrel the seal went in too easily. I know that the inline sixer race moter guys usee this engine and I wonder what they use when they build their high performance engines. Thanks again, Juan

#24780 07/28/2004 1:58 AM
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,826
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,826
Juan, the problem isn't with the type or size of the seal, it's the method of installation. Granted, it's difficult to do a seal replacement with the engine installed, but not impossible. The trick is to soak the original-equipment type seal in motor oil for quite a while, even overnight isn't too much, roll it into a long, too-small diameter, fish it over the upper side of the crankshaft, and then pack it firmly into place before it's cut to size. Do the same thing with the lower seal half in the bearing cap, and trim the ends only enough to prevent them from interfering with torquing the bearing correctly. I've done it numerous times, on all sorts of vehicles. The procdeure is just about the same, regardless of what vehicle is being repaired.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
#24781 08/03/2004 10:18 PM
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 9
J
New Guy
New Guy
J Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 9
thanks for the additional info, it all helps, Juan

#24782 08/04/2004 5:17 AM
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,953
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,953
A great tip I had from a rebuilder was to install the neoprene seal so that the seams do not line up with the block/cap joint. In other words the block/cap joint runs (like clock hands) from the 9 to the 3. If you tilt the seal to the 10 to 4 position you are adding more security against leaking. its easy to do.


1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
"Sedgewick"
In the Gallery
1989 Caprice
#24783 08/04/2004 5:19 AM
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,953
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,953
A great tip I had from a rebuilder was to install the neoprene seal so that the seams do not line up with the block/cap joint. In other words the block/cap joint runs (like clock hands) from the 9 to the 3. If you tilt the seal to the 10 to 4 position you are adding more security against leaking. its easy to do.


1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
"Sedgewick"
In the Gallery
1989 Caprice

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0