The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (John Dlugos, Bill Hanlon, klhansen, Gray_Ghost, Otto Skorzeny, Gdads51, 1 invisible), 178 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,101
Posts1,056,179
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 58
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 58
Recently bought our 58 and started tackling glass and weatherstrip. Most of the "glass" in it was plexiglas. So we bought an entire set of glass, minus the barn door pieces, while at Carlysle. It was a great deal! When the side glass arrived in the mail the rear sliding glass has a curve along the bottom edge. :confused: My plexiglas template has no curve along the back bottom edge. Does anyone know what is supposed to be there? Can anyone post a picture of what it should look like?

Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,384
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,384
On mine(a '64) that is where the latch goes, a small handle/latch fits into the curved area. Welcome to the bolt


My \'64\'s in the Gallery
Pictures in my Photobucket
1964 C10 Custom Cab 350/700R4
1964 Suburban 350/700R4
1979 Ford F350 4x4 400/c6
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 58
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 58
Thanks, I thought it might be for a handle of some type but I'm not sure if mine is supposed to have one there. If I have to make something I will but if they cut the glass wrong I want to fix that problem. The middle windows are both flat across the bottom and have a handle attached to the back edge of the slider. Seems to me the back ones should/could be the same.

I've visited the bolt a number of times while collecting parts to get started, lots of good information here. Hope to share as well as learn.

Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 456
N
'Bolter
'Bolter
N Offline
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 456
That curve along the bottom is not for a handle; the handle goes in the middle of the back edge of the slider.

I think the curve helps the window slide easier. That's the only reason for it that I can think of, since I've taken apart a bunch of them and nothing mounts there.

George

Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 58
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 58
Napco Man - is the curve supposed to be there for rear sliders only, have you seen them? The ones cut on my windows are between 1/2 to 5/8 inch high. I don't see how I can get a seal on them if nothing else mounts there.

I'll try to post a picture tomorrow, may be a bigger challenge than fitting the vent window was.

Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 456
N
'Bolter
'Bolter
N Offline
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 456
All the 55-59 burbs with rear sliders that I've seen have that curve in them. I'm almost at the stage of working on the sliders on my 55.2 restoration; I'll know more then.

I was thinking that they also might be there to allow water to drain through the bottom of the frame. The frames have drain holes in them, but I don't know if the water would drain without that curve.

George

Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 58
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 58
I finished assembly of the left rear this past weekend. Based on Napco Man's response I decided to try assembling the window and it fit okay. The curve cut into the slider sits below the fixed window so the draft seal glued to the frame does its job. I think I was looking at the inside and thinking it would not seal. The rear does slide easier than the middle window that has no curve cut into it.

Anyhow, I have both the left middle and left rear done now. I had to weld in new 6 inch sections on the right side middle and rear frames so it slowed me down a bit. Once you get the hang of it, it isn't too bad. Worst part of reworking the windows is preparing the frames for new paint.

I found that long bar clamps (Bessie K-clamps are wonderful) work great to pull the fixed glass in that final half-inch, no hammer needed. Also, after you get the window within a half inch of seating, it is easier to pull the rubber onto the glass then push the window into place with the clamp. This method helped me to prevent the seal from getting pinched.

Thanks again for the help.

Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 456
N
'Bolter
'Bolter
N Offline
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 456
Glad it worked out for you. I hope to get mine done soon.

George


Moderated by  MNSmith, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0