The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Shaffer's1950, Bill Hanlon, Jon G), 125 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,139
Posts1,056,454
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 102
T
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
T Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 102
Hello all,
I found a '53 canopy express locally, $1000. It's complete with locked up engine, no floors, usual rust, original radio, behind the head clock, tail gate, seats, etc. On a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being unrestorable, 10 being straight and clean this is a 5. So my hard to answer without pictures question is? Should I jump on it? I know I can do the work, maybe even afford it. I just don't have a sense how scarce these canopies are. As usual, thanks.


All the best, Ted
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 179
N
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
N Offline
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 179
Scoop the sucker pal! It is very rare.

I bet you have items on it that exceed the value you will pay.

Now show us some pictures please!

Greg


When I go cruisin' in the old truck....women smile, men weep and dogs beg for rides.
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 703
J
Jed Offline
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 703
Ted,

If you have an opportunity, I'd take it. They are pretty rare.

I'd second the opinion of Niagara, the parts alone are worth more than the asking price!

Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 1,519
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 1,519
GRAB IT!!!!!

Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
These are very rare, much more so than a Suburban. The radio alone unrestored can go for $350 on Ebay.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 20
J
Member
Member
J Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 20
there is a guy trying to sell one in southern california for $6,000 or more. condition on them seems about the same

Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,549
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,549
Better jump on it. Snooze, & you my lose. What's a behind the head clock ?


Spanky Hardy
Collector Of Fine Old G.M. COE Trucks & Antique Holmes Wreckers

1948 Chevrolet 5700 COE Holmes HD W35 Wrecker
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures on Photobucket

1950 GMC 250 1-Ton
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
It would be hard to pass up if its that good.


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,780
G
Master Gabster
Master Gabster
G Offline
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,780
I have 3 and that's a little less than I paid for each of them. As you will find out most of the sheet metal parts are the similar to the panel and Suburban. The tailgate, side rails and the the division panel behind the front seat are the hardest pieces to find. Another thing to keep in mind, although these are rare they do not normally bring in the same prices as a Suburban in the same condition A tailgate can be modified from a clamshell tailgate from a Suburban, but it will take some professional help. You did not mention the size, 1/2 ton or 1 ton? Does it have the original seats? That's another part that can be difficult to find. If you can afford it and store it, buy it!

Joined: May 2006
Posts: 102
T
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
T Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 102
Hi Everyone,
Thanks for all the encouragement. I looked at it again today and it is doable but all the lower sheet metal will need to be worked. It needs a new grille, all the fenders need work or replacement, the tailgate is too far gone, as is the bottom rear where the tailgate would hinge. It needs an engine rebuild or replacement, radiator, and complete floor pan. The doors are good as is the roof and all upper metal. The dash is rust free, has original radio, original seats, Unity spot light, interseting three point mount winged hood ornament, and a clock mounted high on the division wall behind the seats. The division wall and the side rails are very good. I was am glad to know that the suburban clam shell could be modified for a tailgate, are there any of them out there? I will probably go for it and store it until I finish my '54 panel. I will try to learn this photo bucket stuff so I can post pictures. Thanks so much


All the best, Ted
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,549
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,549
There's a '49 Chevy Canopy Express, about 10 miles from me, that the 'ol fellow was using to feed his Hogs, out of. The truck sat in the mud, for years. Tried to get some pictures of it, but there was too much junk, & brush around it, for a decent picture.


Spanky Hardy
Collector Of Fine Old G.M. COE Trucks & Antique Holmes Wreckers

1948 Chevrolet 5700 COE Holmes HD W35 Wrecker
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures on Photobucket

1950 GMC 250 1-Ton
In the Stovebolt Gallery

Moderated by  MNSmith, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0