Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
8 members (1955 1 Series, klhansen, John Dlugos, Bill Hanlon, Gray_Ghost, Otto Skorzeny, 2 invisible),
219
guests, and
2
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,101 Posts1,056,179 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 102 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: May 2006 Posts: 102 | Hi All, On the inside of the cargo space of my 54 panel are 4 sets of 2 bolt holes. These holes are located on the flange that connects the roof to the body. The flange indents to accomodate whatever connected to these holes. There are 2 sets of 2 holes on each flange. Does anyone know what these bolt holes are for? As always, Thanks
All the best, Ted
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | 2 of the "headliner bows"?
Bill | | | | | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 102 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: May 2006 Posts: 102 | Thanks for responding red58, I need some definitions here. If head liner bows are those ribs that support the roof, then no, these holes are not for them.
All the best, Ted
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2001 Posts: 1,517 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2001 Posts: 1,517 | Hi Ted, i think the holes youre referring to are the ones that are abt. half way up the side support brackets.(between the roof panel and bottom sides?) If thats them, there was originally a 1"x3" piece of oak that was a cargo tie down. I can send you pics. of mine for verification if that'll help. Marty | | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | aahhh, yes, Marty's got it - I thought you meant on the flange that goes around right up at the top
Bill | | | | | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 102 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: May 2006 Posts: 102 | Thank you delux54panel but NO these holes are up high right at the roof / body flange. My truck still has the oak tie down bars so I know what you were getting at. I need to learn how to post a picture. I guess we will have to make this a contest. Speaking of pictures I would love to see your panel.
All the best, Ted
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2001 Posts: 1,517 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2001 Posts: 1,517 | Hi Ted,,Those holes are what they used to bolt the roof panel down to the body sides. Ive sent you pics of my panel and my '54 pick up to your e-mail add. All the best,Marty | | | | | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 102 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: May 2006 Posts: 102 | NOPE, these sets of holes are horizontal and are directly opposite each other suggesting that a bracket once existed there maybe spanning the cargo space, like a closet hanger bar. These holes are well done suggestintg that it may be factory but maybe not. It's obviously no big deal since you guys seem unfamiliar with it. Thanks for the pictures Marty those are 2 spectacular trucks. I'll send you some pics of mine in progress.
All the best, Ted
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 324 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 324 | I have a piece of wood from my 47 1/2 panel. It was mounted across the top of the cargo area, just behind the front seat. It has an L-bracket at each end that mounts to the truck with two bolts each. the wood looks like a 1x4 that was cut to match the curve of the top of the van. I think it's oak, and it's painted grey same as the interior. It wasn't attached when I got the van, but I kept it anyway. | | |
| |