The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Woodcmiami, Bill Hanlon, 2-Ton), 108 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,109
Posts1,056,258
Members48,437
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#24518 08/13/2003 4:26 PM
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 50
G
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
G Offline
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 50
I believe that there is a front mount for the cab just in front of the radiator but dont know what it is suppose to look like. If anyone can show me a picture I would be grateful. Thanks, Greg


1951 1.5 ton 4400
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
I'm a bit confused. Are you talking about a cab mount for a COE, or the radiator support mount, which is a strip of thick rubber under the center of the radiator support?


Fred
52 3600
69 C-10
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 50
G
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
G Offline
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 50
Thanks Fred.
The front of the cab will bounce higher than the frame then come down and hit the crossmember in the front when I hit a bump in the road and there is a lot of them per mile.
Greg


1951 1.5 ton 4400
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
Sounds like you need to replace the cab mounts, there are four of the, all under the cab. The front ones are a rubber pad with a bolt through floor, just inside the front of the doors. The rears are a shackle arrangement, near the back at the frame.

Sounds like you don't have a shop manual, well worth the $25 investment, and describes all of this.


Fred
52 3600
69 C-10
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 50
G
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
G Offline
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 50
You are right Fred I dont have a manual.
Thanks for the information.
I will look at the front ones and see if there are any rubber left.
greg


1951 1.5 ton 4400
#24523 08/13/2003 11:18 PM
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
4
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
4 Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
The front ones also tend to rust out, so that could be a problem too.


Paint & Body Shop moderator
A lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
#24524 08/14/2003 12:36 AM
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 50
G
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
G Offline
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 50
Thanks Josiah. I just cant believe the front end sticks out to the front bumper without any suppport. I just need to know what it looks like so I can make another one.
Greg


1951 1.5 ton 4400
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
It looks like a piece of machinery belt, only softer. I'm thinking about 1/4 or 3/8" thick, but not real sure. There are two styles, one piece is before 50, two piece is 50 & later. However, my 52 has the early style.

[img]http://www.americanclassic.com/images/RDR-23.gif[/img]

[img]http://www.americanclassic.com/images/RDR-26.gif[/img]


Fred
52 3600
69 C-10
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 258
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 258
Greg,

All coventional ADs had a front mounting under the radiator cradle....if the rubber's gone, she'll bang like hell !

I had to do this as a "budget repair" on my '54 when I was in high school and used a layer or two of tire carcass.

I think the bolts that go through the radiator support and into the frame are carriage bolts, and mine kept spinning as I tried to remove the nuts...I think I jammed a fat cold chisel against the head to keep 'em still enough to remove the nuts.

Good Luck!


Frank McMullen
1941 Chevy dump truck
1949 GMC 100 pick-up
1954 Chevy 3600 pick-up
1955.1 4400 dump truck
1941 De Soto & other MoPars
1928 Model A F**D Special Coupe
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 50
G
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
G Offline
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 50
Thanks Frank and Fred, I have a block of 3/4" plywood in there now and will change it out for a piece of conveyer belt I have. That block of wood made a big difference.
Greg


1951 1.5 ton 4400

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0