The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (Otto Skorzeny, R&S 51 GMC, KEVINSKI, Bill Hanlon, Swami29, Phak1), 100 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,125
Posts1,056,339
Members48,440
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 9
C
Junior Member
Junior Member
C Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 9
I am looking at a 1948 GMC canopy express, and I need to know what I am looking at price wise to replace the rear fenders. I have heard they are the same as the burbs. What have you paid for decent ones.

The problem with the ones on it is that they are mostly rusted along the area where they mount to the body. Other places I could possibly patch them.

I was also wondering if would be feasible to modify truck fenders to fit. I was thinking that i could use tape and mark the truck fenders to match the canopy express fenders. Then with a grinder or cutoff wheel I could chop them down to size. Would this work? Would it be possible to make it look close to stock?

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
coltfan,

The rear fenders are hard to find (and they seem to be prone to rust in the lower rear and where you describe). I do not think that reproduction fenders are being made, even in fiberglas. Maybe someone else will have better information.

The fender is the same on GMC and Chevrolet 1947.5-1955.5 Panel Truck, Suburban, and Canopoy Express (I am fairly certain).

Look back in this forum for a long discussion on converting a pick-up rear fender - my bet is that it is not an easy task, if it is possible at all. You might be better off trying to weld on a new mounting edge.

Place a "Want Ad" in the Swap Meet on this Bulletin Board.

Tim

Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 364
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 364
Rear Panel & Burb fenders are available in fiberglass...R&R Fiberglass, Cleveland, TN website www.rrfiberglass.net...last priced at $195. each.


Steve G.
--------------
1942 Chevrolet 1/2-Ton Pickup Truck

Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 1,571
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 1,571
I've paid $130 for a decent original steel fender with some pinholes that can be easily fixed.


Get a REAL truck, get a GMC! www.oldgmctrucks.com
1954 GMC De Luxe COE
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 9
C
Junior Member
Junior Member
C Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 9
Thanks. I will keep it all in mind. I still have not purchased it as I am waiting on some money to come in, but I think if I could get the parts it would be a nice rig. I don't like all the common stuff.

One other question, did Ford make a model similar to the canopy express? Just curious as when I was looking for information on the one I was looking at all I saw were chevy and dodge ones. I don't think I have seen another GMC online either.

Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,780
G
Master Gabster
Master Gabster
G Offline
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,780
Quote
Originally posted by coltfan:
I am looking at a 1948 GMC canopy express, and I need to know what I am looking at price wise to replace the rear fenders. I have heard they are the same as the burbs. What have you paid for decent ones.

The problem with the ones on it is that they are mostly rusted along the area where they mount to the body. Other places I could possibly patch them.

I was also wondering if would be feasible to modify truck fenders to fit. I was thinking that i could use tape and mark the truck fenders to match the canopy express fenders. Then with a grinder or cutoff wheel I could chop them down to size. Would this work? Would it be possible to make it look close to stock?
The fenders are the same for the panel/Suburban and Canopy Express. I buy any rear fender I can find, even rusted ones. I have cut the top portion off and my brother welded a piece we got from another badly damaged fender....it looks great. There is a 48 CE for sale on ebay right now that has two sets of rear fenders and seems to be complete. I would buy it if it was closer....but I really don't need a fourth!

Fenders go for around $50-350. There was one I missed at the Sacramento swap meet for $200 and it was straight.

Truck fenders will not work........period. This has been discussed many times and a bodyman confirmed it. Wrong contour. I suspect that they might be repoping the rears in the future because of the demand of the panels and Suburbans. They are repoping everything else!

GMC also made CE's along side of the Chevrolets. I have mostly seen the one tons though. I do not believe that ford ever made what we refer to as a CE. They made wooden body Hucksters in the teens, twenties and into the thirties.

send me some pictures of the CE. What shape is it in? Have you checked it out for rust and is it complete? ......g

Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 9
C
Junior Member
Junior Member
C Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 9
I have pictures on another board. It is in better shape, or at least more together than the one on ebay.

The GMC I am looking at needs floorboards, all the bed wood and strips, tailgate needs work both rust and dent repair, both rear fenders are pretty rusty, front fenders have some dents and maybe some minor rust work, engine is there but tranny is gone, both running boards need work, mostly the problems are worse on the driver's side supposedly due to it being moved with a forklift, and it needs new canvas. It is rough but mostly complete. The place where it is at has a 1950 chevy truck for parts right beside it. It has a transmission and I might be able to use some other parts. I am debating purchasing it. I do like that it is unusual, but it will really be stretching my skills to fix it up. Plus no telling how much I will eventually have to sink into it to get it going. However, once I do it will be one rare ride.


Moderated by  MNSmith, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0