The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (Hotrod Lincoln), 112 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,142
Posts1,056,491
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#241996 10/08/2007 8:29 PM
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,186
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,186
I think somebody might have cut off a few inches of the frame on my '54 one ton. Does anybody know what the length of the frame is from the center of the rear spring perch to the back end of the frame side rail? Either that or the back of the rear frame cross member to the back of the frame side rail. Why do people do these stupid things when there appears to be no reason for it :rolleyes:


My Trucks
Stuff I Collect
If it doesn't matter if you win or loose.......why do they keep score?
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 42
L
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
L Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 42
hey 55 1st burb i dont have an answer to the proper length of the frame for ya but some worthless insight i do have. when i was in highschool i worked at a truck shop on weekends and during the summer. i saw and actually modified many rear frame sections for differnet dump type hoists bodies. not sure if that is what happened to yours but thought i would pass that on. my $.02 thats really not even worth that for you right now
~army truck

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,414
J
Former Workshop Owner
Former Workshop Owner
J Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,414
That would be my guess also. It probably had a dump bed that someone wanted. One of my '42s is the same way.

John


~ J Lucas
2006 GMC Envoy 4.2 I6
2023 Ram 2500/Cumins 6.7 I6
2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Wife’s)
2002 Silverado 2500 Gas 6.0
1941 Chevy 1/2-Ton
1942 Chevy 1.5-Ton SWB
In the Gallery
My Flicker Photos!
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,186
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,186
Nope, never had a hoist. The original flat bed was on it when I got it. They did weld in a hitch platform right at the cut, really hevay duty.


My Trucks
Stuff I Collect
If it doesn't matter if you win or loose.......why do they keep score?
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
I've seen bumpers that had been welded on, and one way to remove one like that would be to cut some of the frame off. Could be a lot of reasons someone cut a few inches or more off frame.


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
I was just realizing you and I have similar trucks. I have a '54 1-ton and a '55 1st Suburban, but both mine are GMC's.

I've got a bunch of Chevy's too, but lately the GMC's seem far more interesting to me.


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0