The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
10 members (TexasJim50, Jay R, TUTS 59, Hotrod Lincoln, Forty9, cmayna, Lostbuthaulinass, Woogeroo, Peggy M, 1 invisible), 89 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,134
Posts1,056,411
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 364
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 364
My '42 1/2 ton rides really hard...rear springs are very tight. Just wondering what others have done to soften the ride. Has anyone removed leaves? How many? Which ones?


Steve G.
--------------
1942 Chevrolet 1/2-Ton Pickup Truck

Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,223
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,223
Yes you can remove some, start with the smaller ones, tow or three of them should help. You can't haul as much weight with leafs removed!

You can also grind each leaf smooth so they ride on each other easyer, or add the teflon poly strips to each leaf. I bought mine from Speedway in Lincoln Ne. It worked great, I went back and added it to the front leafs. The truck is much quieter on rough roads and way smoother riding. Most any speedshop or street rod parts vender lists it in 20 foot lengths. My 37 used 3 roles of it to do four springs.
Joe

Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 364
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 364
Joe H...thanks for the help. How much, if any, did you lower your rear stance when you took out the leaves? Did you modify your front springs as well? I don't plan to do any major hauling with this truck.


Steve G.
--------------
1942 Chevrolet 1/2-Ton Pickup Truck

Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,223
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,223
I added aluminum blocks the same thickness as the springs I removed, about 1/2". I like the look of stock heigth, not sure how much it would have lowered it. I did remove some leafs from the front as well, three I think, from the bottom. Joe


Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0