Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,142 Posts1,056,474 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | |
#23665 08/03/2003 6:09 AM | Joined: Jul 2000 Posts: 623 "MONGO" | | "MONGO" Joined: Jul 2000 Posts: 623 | Still haven't gotten the pictures and sound files of my new exhaust posted sorry guys, but a week after I got it in, my 3 on the tree made it's self a 2 on the tree. If it had been first gear that went I'd been ok with it as I seldom use it but #2 decided to go so the trucks just been sitting on the driveway. Since I'm swapping the tranny I figured I'll go ahead and change it to a T5 (Which I've been considering for a while). So after a few weeks of looking around a guy in our club (Who I knew had a T5 he was gonna switch too) decided to go to a 700R4 instead so I got a good deal on the T5. So here's the question I hit the usual sites to identify it so I can see what ratio's it's got but none of them happen to have this number. It's a 1352-193 it also has an electronic speedo hookup, which could be why it's not listed. The electronic speedo isn't a problem cause I've got a lectronic speedo in my truck already. Thanks in advance.. MONGO | | |
#23666 08/03/2003 8:06 AM | Joined: Jul 2000 Posts: 623 "MONGO" | | "MONGO" Joined: Jul 2000 Posts: 623 | Ok, guess I just needed to do some more searching. Turns out it's from : GM 1989 S-Truck 2.5L L4 Only Haven't tracked down any ratio's yet on it.. MONGO | | |
#23667 08/04/2003 12:24 AM | Joined: Jul 2003 Posts: 15 Apprentice | | Apprentice Joined: Jul 2003 Posts: 15 | This page has dimensions for some of the various T-5 versions. The gearshift lever really moves around. http://www.ddperformance.com/images/t5dia.jpg The Mustang version of the T-5 has a manual available her. http://www.allfordmustangs.com/techarticles/t5rebuildmanual.pdf I guess you've been to the Inliners webpage... their chart stops at 1986. I know some of the units were on multiple engines, but will the "L4 only" be strong enough? Good Luck, Kurt Chandler first timer, soon to have '39 Chev 1 1/2 ton
When I find out what I'm doing, I'll let you know if I'm in too deep.
| | |
#23668 08/07/2003 7:34 PM | Joined: Jul 2000 Posts: 623 "MONGO" | | "MONGO" Joined: Jul 2000 Posts: 623 | Still Didn't find the ratio's but I'm hoping that they are the same as the 1252-145 ( From 85-86 S10 with a 2.5 L4) Too late now, I've got it and am in too deep to make a difference. With the 3.42 rear end I'm putting in and my tire size at 65MPH I should be looking at: 3.76 - 1st - 11280 2.18 - 2nd - 6540 1.42 - 3rd - 4260 1.00 - 4th - 3000 Overdrive Ratio .72OD - 5th - 2160 Which is right where I wanna be.. From what I understand the L4 Only should be ok for the 235 if it breaks, Live and learn at least I'll know how to put a new one in. Also I think that mean's it was only used in that truck with that engine. MONGO | | |
#23669 08/08/2003 1:31 AM | Joined: Oct 2002 Posts: 4,066 Bolter | | Bolter Joined: Oct 2002 Posts: 4,066 | KC, as mentioned before I have an 84 s-10 five speed from a 2.8 and it works fine, I do have a 2:73 rear out of an 85 blazer so I lost a little on take off not a whole lot though, at 65 I turn about 1600 in over drive, in fourth at about 60 it turns about 22oo, my 52 has a 54 235 in it, good luck with yours.....Fred Redryder pixMy HotrodA veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of "up to and including my life."I am fighting cancer and I am winning the fight | Pain is part of life; misery is an option. | | |
#23670 08/19/2003 9:06 PM | Joined: Jul 2000 Posts: 623 "MONGO" | | "MONGO" Joined: Jul 2000 Posts: 623 | Got the T5 installed with my new rear end and it drives very nice. Only problem is the Sycro between 2-3 is going out so I have to double clutch it to downshift but it's not so bad I'm on the hunt for another T5, this one is still under warrantee for another couple weeks from the yard it came from. Now that the rearend and driveshaft work is done it won't be hard to swap. I drilled out a 6 Ball and tapped it to use it as a shifter and I'm using the S-10 shift boot screwed to the tranny cover and It looks good I think. [img] http://www.chevygmcofkc.org/Gallery/data/3021/1DCP_2269-med.JPG[/img] What do you guys think? MONGO | | |
#23671 08/19/2003 11:17 PM | Joined: Oct 2001 Posts: 3,458 Extreme Gabster | | Extreme Gabster Joined: Oct 2001 Posts: 3,458 | What's the significance of the 6 ball?
Paint & Body Shop moderator A lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic. | | |
#23672 08/20/2003 3:02 AM | Joined: Aug 2000 Posts: 800 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2000 Posts: 800 | Just a stab- 6 cylinders.  | | |
#23673 08/20/2003 5:15 PM | Joined: Jul 2000 Posts: 623 "MONGO" | | "MONGO" Joined: Jul 2000 Posts: 623 | Yup... Who needs a 8 when you gotta I6!! LOL.. Just bein' different. MONGO | | |
#23674 08/20/2003 6:31 PM | Joined: Jul 2002 Posts: 358 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2002 Posts: 358 | KCMongo, please give us the specifics of the swap: - clutch and pressure plate? - starter? - driveshaft? - is the Blazer rear end a 6 lug wheel pattern? - width of the rearend compared to stock? - cost? - sweat equity? - swear words? Whizzerick | | |
#23675 08/20/2003 6:42 PM | Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 1,745 Member | | Member Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 1,745 | Geez Whiz, for a sec I thought you would ask for a picture of his wife in a bikini. What a list. :p
54 3100 with 235 62 flatbed dump C60 with 261
| | |
#23676 08/20/2003 8:32 PM | Joined: Jul 2002 Posts: 358 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2002 Posts: 358 |  I was on a roll!! | | |
#23677 08/21/2003 2:18 PM | Joined: Jul 2000 Posts: 623 "MONGO" | | "MONGO" Joined: Jul 2000 Posts: 623 | I was planning on posting this later but here's what I have right now.
-Flywheel and pressure plate are the 10 inch that I bought for the truck earlier this year when I rebuilt the motor. The clutch I picked up at O'reilys (Give you the part number later) It's ment for an 82 Jeep and has the 14 spline 1 inch center that I needed. It's only 9 15/16 so it's slightly undersize but that shouldn't be a problem.
-The starter is the one I've had on the truck. It is not the original foot start but a 12 Volt 58 Car starter.
-The driveshaft is the one that was on the S10 that donated the tranny and I paid $15 for it. I had it cut to 50 1/2 inches by a place called Inland Driveshaft here in KC it ran $109 and that included balencing, a new yoke in the back (to match the monte rear), 2 new U joints and they cleaned it up and painted it.
-The rear came out of an 84 Monte Carlo, it has a 5 Bolt by 4 3/4 bolt pattern witch matches the M2 setup on the front of my truck.
-The Monte rear is an inch Narrower than the stock which amounts to half an inch on each side.
-Cost.. Hmm.. $75 for the tranny $15 for the driveshaft $109 to modify the driveshaft $Freebee - Already had the rearend in my parts pile.. $Freebee - New U bolts and spring perches for the rearend (Came from a local place that builds trailers. Prob another $20 - $30 in misc stuff.
-Sweat Equity - Took about 1 1/2 weeks to complete working a little every night after work. The hardest parts were dealing with the rear end swap and figuring out what clutch disc I wanted to use.
-Swear Words.. We said a few when a $20 driveshaft a buddy picked up for me at a swap meet I was gonna use turned out to be about an inch too short. Driveshafts of the right lengths are out there if you can find them that's a good way to save some money.
I'll post some part numbers later when I get a chance.
MONGO | | |
#23678 08/21/2003 2:33 PM | Joined: Jul 2002 Posts: 358 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2002 Posts: 358 | KC, thanks a LOT for the info. This will be of help to a lot of bolters, I'm sure. rick | | |
#23679 08/21/2003 11:03 PM | Joined: Oct 2001 Posts: 130 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Oct 2001 Posts: 130 | hello kcmongo. i used the t5 in my 55 first series. the driveshaft i used came from a late 80's chevy astro van[no mods needed], and i used an astro van clutch disc, but it had to be modified as the hub was too long. does the 82 jeep clutch disc install without mods?
our garage is a non-profit organization
| | |
#23680 08/22/2003 8:18 PM | Joined: Jul 2000 Posts: 623 "MONGO" | | "MONGO" Joined: Jul 2000 Posts: 623 | garyg Curious what rearend your using on your 55' or was it already open? I have a buddy who did this swap at the same time I did on his 54, he's using a 54 Open Rearend and his driveshaft was an inch longer than mine. Also curious how much yoke you have in the tranny, as the other driveshaft I had would have worked except it only had about an inch in the tranny. Clutch disk went in fine without any modification I can get you the part number from it tonite when I'm home. MONGO | | |
#23681 08/22/2003 10:35 PM | Joined: Oct 2001 Posts: 130 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Oct 2001 Posts: 130 | 55 first series has an open driveshaft setup. i am using the stock rear with 3.90 gears. the length of the astro van drive shaft is perfect on mine. the yoke is within about 3/4 of an inch of being all the way in.only change was the crossover u-joint at the rear.this drive shaft also has some kind of balance or vibration wheel on it just beyond the front yoke. it would be great if you can get that disc part number. if i can find a disc that i don't have to chop up to fit ,i would take mine out tomorrow to replace it.
our garage is a non-profit organization
| | |
#23682 08/25/2003 7:20 AM | Joined: Jul 2000 Posts: 623 "MONGO" | | "MONGO" Joined: Jul 2000 Posts: 623 | Ok that part number was RCF4201 and I got mine from O'Reilly's $23.99 (also I know a friend of mine got his from NAPA but I think he paid twice that). MONGO | | |
#23683 08/26/2003 12:25 AM | Joined: Oct 2001 Posts: 130 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Oct 2001 Posts: 130 | thank you so much. i went to the napa site, and i can't find the application for that number, but i am going to stop by their store tommorrow after work.
our garage is a non-profit organization
| | |
#23684 08/26/2003 1:37 PM | Joined: Jul 2000 Posts: 623 "MONGO" | | "MONGO" Joined: Jul 2000 Posts: 623 | | | |
| |