The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (78buckshot, Roy Rodgers, Gray_Ghost, 2-Ton), 100 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,113
Posts1,056,279
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 640
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 640
I have a '48 half ton, and I'm putting on the optional trim that sits on the top of the hood. Not the Chevrolet name plate, but the large pot metal piece. There are collars around the bolts that stick down through the holes in the hood about a quarter inch or so, and tightening nuts to these wouldn't hold the trim on tight. Is there a special collar that fits over the trim collar to enable me to tighten it down? Or do I just stack a couple of washers over it? :confused:


1948 Chevy 1/2-Ton
"Tuesdays with Morris"
In the Legacy Gallery
Find it - Fix it - Drive it
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
It's not so much a special washer as it's a special nut. I don't have a good picture of pne that I can post, but I can give a description. What you need is what the call a trim nut. It's a stamped steel nut, similar to a speed nut, that has a recess in it. That puts the threaded part that attaches the part above the shoulder on the mounting studs. Some will also have a rubber washer bonded to them as well. You should be able to get them at any body supply shop, or maybe the flaps. If I have one loose, I'll take a pic of it and post it.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,832
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,832
I'd go with what Bill said since working with one piece is easier but you can use the small freeze plugs like go in the end of an oil galley. Drill a hole in the center, usually a 3/16 and put it on with the concave side over the shoulder of the ornament stud. If you include the lock washer that's 3 pieces and a little trickier to start.


Evan
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 640
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 640
Thanks, guys. I used a rubber grommet over each of the shoulders, then two or three washers with the inside diameter large enough to go over the shoulders, then a flat washer, lock washer, and nut. It's not the prettiest setup, but it'll work until I can find the correct trim nuts.


1948 Chevy 1/2-Ton
"Tuesdays with Morris"
In the Legacy Gallery
Find it - Fix it - Drive it

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0