The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Otto Skorzeny, Bill Hanlon, Hotrod Lincoln, Cletus1950, Wayne67vert), 198 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,106
Posts1,056,217
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 5
5
Junior Member
Junior Member
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 5
the steering wheel has excessive play and a delay in correcting. Is this a tough job for an office worker such as myself?

Thanks.

Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 12
5
Junior Member
Junior Member
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 12
It could be a big job. There are many diferent things that could be wrong. It could be the steering gearbox, steering links, kingpins, etc. Find out what is causing the play and go from there.

Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
Not too difficult to take care of, just need some basic hand tools and a little patience.
On the engine side of the steering box, you'll see a lock nut/screw on the side. Take the nut loose, then turn the screw part in until the play is gone. Don't get crazy with tightening the screw, just go easy until the play is gone. Then tighten the locknut. You may have to use a bit driver wiht a ratchet, or a stubby screwdriver, full size screwdrivers won't fit very well.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,780
G
Master Gabster
Master Gabster
G Offline
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,780
Get yourself an original service manual, there is a section that will take you step by step through the process. As stated above, it could be a multitude of things, I would do the steering box first, then check your kingpins.

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,098
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,098
I can't tell you how many steering boxes I have found that were bone dry. Back in the day 90 wt gear oil was used and has probably long since run out. In many cases the upper bearing is the first to go. Try pumping the gear box full of grease and along with the other suggestions, it might help.
Fred


1956 3100 Pickup/Red/350/3sp OD/PS/Disc Brakes
1957 Bel Air Sport Coupe/Red/355/TH350/PS/Disc Brakes
2017 Silverado LT Single Cab SB/Black/5.3/6 Speed Trans
1947 Willys CJ2A w/F-Head engine
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 482
O
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
O Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 482
When you adjust that steering gear box, (as above, very easy to do) test drive and make sure the steering wheel returns on its own following a turn. If you tighten too much, the wheel will remain following a turn and you'll drive your truck into someone's living room!!! Putting in oil is also an easy next step. After that it gets pretty hard.

All the components of steering from the king pins to the steering gear box are probably worn such that each component puts some measure of play in the steering. It called backlash when machinery gets worn and has wiggle in it that cannot be compensated for by way of adjustment.

Joined: Sep 2000
Posts: 390
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Sep 2000
Posts: 390
The best mix for the steering gear box is 50/50 90wt and grease.Ron.


1942 1\2 Ton
1951 1\2 Ton 55 willys cj-5
1954 and 59 Cushman Scooter
1960 Biscayne Sedan
1965 G/10 panel van
1966 C/30 Grizzly Motorhome
You know you're a 'Bolter when your daily driver is older than you are...
My progress pics
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,397
T
Crusty Old Sarge
Crusty Old Sarge
T Offline
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,397
There is a Topic on this under Tech-Tips, it's pretty straight forward. You'll find it under Suspension and Steering. Good Luck.


~ Craig
1958 Viking 4400
"The Book of Thor"
Read the story in the DITY
1960 Chevrolet C10
"A Family Heirloom"
Follow the story in the DITY Gallery
'59 Apache 31, 327 V8 (0.030 over), Muncie M20 4 Speed, GM 10 Bolt Rear... long term project (30 years and counting)

If you don't like driving yourTruck, you won't drive yourTruck..| Living life in the SLOW lane
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
Raise the front end & with the wheels straight ahead have someone move the steering wheel back & forth through the freeplay while byou watch underneath to see where the play is comeing from. When you adjust the gear like the fellow bolters described make shure the wheels are straight ahead. You didn,t say what year it is but if it has king pins they must be greased good & grease goes through the fitting. If they bind it will drive bad & not return after a turn.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 272
L
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
L Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 272
Hi 59blueapache,
I have recently gone through the same issue with my truck. After I was through I had completely rebuilt my steering box and made all of the linkage adjustments. King pins had been replaced about 3 years ago. Steering was MUCH better but not as good as I would have liked. Last month when replacing front springs I noticed one of the spring hangers attached to the frame was loose. I removed the old rivets and bolted it back on tight. I would never had noticed the loose hanger if I hadn't done the spring job. Then I had the front end aligned and this old truck steers like a dream. White knuckles have turned pink again. Just a thought to check those spring mounting points while you are doing all this work.


1948 AD Pickup
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 172
S
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 172
I just went through this on my 1 ton. The lash screw was rusted solid into the lock down screw thing. I could get the lock down loose, but I could not move the lash screw.

I put like three/four days worth of rust breaker on it. Letting it soak for a long time. Then I loosened the lock down screw. Held it with on wrench and the lash screw with a vise grips.

Then...you just squeeze them together and pull them apart. It only moved just a bit each time...but every time I pulled them apart the lash screw turned just a bit more. I could feel when it was getting tight because of rust build up...then I would change direction.

It took a good ten minutes to get the lash screw fully loose....but it was effective. I know have a fully adjusted steering box. This was after the PO told me that a mechanic said there was nothing left to do.

(THANKS TO WRENCHBENDER for saying it was still adjustable. It gave me the patience to work on it.)

As to figure out if it is the gear box or all the connections/parts...I just put my hand around the steering shaft...in the wheel well and turned that. I could see it turning a lot before the pitman arm/shaft out of gear box even started to move. So I knew it was there and not in the other parts.

Dave


1965 Chevy C-30 1-Ton
"Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching."

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0