The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (TUTS 59, 2-Ton, Hotrod Lincoln, 1 invisible), 78 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,356
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#229963 03/22/2007 11:03 AM
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 5
T
New Guy
New Guy
T Offline
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 5
Has anyone out there custom installed an A/C system? I have a friend with a junkyard. There are hundreds of A/C units there for my taking. Can any of them be fitted in a 1954 Chevy 3100?

Just wondering if anyone knows of one that can be fitted.


1954 Chevrolet 3100 Pickup
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 483
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 483
I put an old york compressor with the bracket I made along with an old sears under dash unit in my 53 3100. Works great here in North Centeral Texas. I bought the condencer off E-Bay. It fit perfectly in front of the radiator and mounted to the inner fender wells. I had my hoses made at a local hose maker. From my reaserch it is exactly what sears would have put on in 1954. Allthough it was a R12 unit I used 134A and it works great, 38 degrees. My 12 volt problem was solved by installing 2-6 volt battery with a 12 volt gen and regulator. My 6 volt truck power comes off the 6 volt center tap. The batteries are in series and remaine charged with 12 volt gen. I'm an origionality nut.

Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,066
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,066
welcome to the bolt Kirkwood and what Beaver says is probably true at least...........I'm an origionality nut........ I know the nut part is correct grin grin
just kidding Beav.........have a good one..


Redryder pix
My Hotrod
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of "up to and including my life."
I am fighting cancer and I am winning the fight | Pain is part of life; misery is an option.

Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,317
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,317
I've installed a number of j-yard salvage A/C units that functioned perfectly. However, there are some pitfalls. The early "add-on" units were the easiest and least troublesome but are not easy to find anymore. The modern units have a habit of konking out every few years so you've got the potential for clogged condensors, borderline compressors, and evaporators that have complicated controls, solenoids, and other little manufacturer specific features that can keep you perplexed.

I'm getting ready to add air to my 54...have used local auto-air sources for all the needed components on the others and will do the same for this truck. Most of the pricey "package" deals don't even address the "bracket" situation and have features I don't want or need.

There are several "online" sources for components with lots of good info on setting up a component system even if you don't use their products. Getting your components matched will make your system more efficient and QUIET!

I've already fabricated my low mount driver's side bracket and pass side alternator mount...have pics in my "Tips and Tricks album.

It sure isn't rocket science but with summer just around the corner getting a system installed is a priority. BTW..the average cost for an all-new local component system is $700. Hope this helps.

Dave


Webshot "Tips and tricks" and "Shoebox" Photo Albums

EXPERIENCE is the best teacher...but it gives the test first...and the lesson afterwards.

"What this generation tolerates...the next will embrace"
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
I might add that when adding AC to any vehicle not designed for AC you run the risk of overheating. Good constant airflow across the radiator is a must.


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 595
1
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
1 Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 595
check into rear ac units from mini-vans. i heard those are the slick ticket as they are supposed to be self-contained units similar to the old under dash units.

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 1,624
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 1,624
IMO you don't want to go near a R-12 unit. Call a local A/C shop and ask them how much it would cost to charge it. Yeah, I know R-12 works better than 134 but it ain't worth it. Get as big a condensor as you can stand. That's where the heat exchange happens, so bigger is better. I went with an aftermarket unit as I was told that once a "system" was opened the clock started ticking and open unit components go bad quickly. I installed the A/C for the little woman, she didn't care how much it cost or where it came from BUT it sure as heck better work.


Six volt guy living in a twelve volt world
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
B
Master Gabster
Master Gabster
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
I have three of the Chevy mini vans and both front and rear are run from the front. It's not a very effecint system. There are other models, Ford makes a mini and they may have rear self-contained units.


~Jim

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0