The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Millenimech, Shaffer's1950, Otto Skorzeny), 112 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,134
Posts1,056,403
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 101
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 101
After reading through 67 posts doing a search for tranny here is my question.

I have a 53 1/2 ton with a 54 235, 3-speed on tree and torque tube drive.

I want to put in a mid 80's 4WD K-5 Blazer rearend (6-lug), keep the 235 and the 3 on the tree.

What tranny and years should I shop for?

This truck is for cruzin, not hauling.

Mark


1946 1/2 ton - 1962 "261"
1953 1/2 ton 5-window - "235"
1955 1/2 ton - 55 "265" Corvette motor
1959 1/2 ton Fleetside - "283"
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
4
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
4 Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
Any '55-62 tranny will work, that is when they went to the open driveline. You can also switch to an SM420 if you want four speeds.


Paint & Body Shop moderator
A lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 4
L
Junior Member
Junior Member
L Offline
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 4
Mark,
I made this swap just recently. My advise is to keep the original rear end and change the ring & pinion. In my swap I used a 79 camaro rear with a full syncro 3 speed saginaw. The 3 on the tree linkage was a real BEAR. I took me a long time to fabricate the linkage using some parts from a MR. Gasket 3-speed stick shift linkage. It works but the shifter sometimes sticks. And the throw is shorter for reverse & first than second and third.
If I had to do it again I would just swap the ring & pinion. I could send you some pictures of the fabricated linkage. It might help you to make up your mind about which way you want to go.


The truth will set all men free.
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 275
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 275
If you can swap side cover, levers, etc. from your old trans. to the donor, it should be much more painless. Am currently doing that with my 56, swapping in a mid-60's 3-spd OD behind a 261 with a Chevelle 12 bolt posi.


1956 Chevy 3100
261/700r4 (formerly 3 speed OD)
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0