| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,097 Posts1,056,494 Members48,444 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Nov 2004 Posts: 2,418 Former Workshop Owner | | Former Workshop Owner Joined: Nov 2004 Posts: 2,418 | I picked up a copy of his 1954 (reprint) Chevy Inline 6 Speed Tip book at a swap meet yesterday. I have only skimmed through a couple chapters, but it looks like it will be some interesting reading.
Has anyone else read it, and are there any more similar books that anyone can recommend?
I have acquired a couple 235's and one 216 that I am tempted to experiment with.
John
~ J Lucas 2006 GMC Envoy 4.2 I6 2023 Ram 2500/Cumins 6.7 I6 2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Wife’s) 2002 Silverado 2500 Gas 6.0 1941 Chevy 1/2-Ton 1942 Chevy 1.5-Ton SWBIn the Gallery My Flicker Photos! | | | | | Joined: Dec 2004 Posts: 1,897 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2004 Posts: 1,897 | The 235s are a much better place to start... if they are full pressure 235s. The 216 requires a lot more work on the bottom end and then has the smaller displacement. If you want to get real serious, you would build a 261 chevy, or a 270 or 302 gmc. There is no substitute for displacement.
John
P.S. I have the little yellow book... California Bill Fisher's GMC Speed Manual. It is good reading, but is a little out of date. He talks about knurling pistons, a practice that simply isn't done today, and grinding the crank an extra 2 thousandths fore more oil flow to the bearings, which again isn't common practice. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 874 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 874 | Another one is How to Hop up Chevy and GMC engines. Link | | | | | Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 841 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 841 | ive got copys of both of them and they are great. especially the prices they quote.  | | | | | Joined: Nov 2004 Posts: 2,418 Former Workshop Owner | | Former Workshop Owner Joined: Nov 2004 Posts: 2,418 | Thanks, I forgot to count the 235 that is in the truck. So I have 4 total that I can take apart, 2 full pressure 235s, 1 each 235 and 216 low pressure (dippers). I have some steel parts tubs that I can use to help keep the parts separated. I will probably take apart 2 and pick the one in the best shape to rebuild.
Never messed with an inline before, I always replaced them with V8's. This is going to be a learning experience.
Thanks Again
John
~ J Lucas 2006 GMC Envoy 4.2 I6 2023 Ram 2500/Cumins 6.7 I6 2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Wife’s) 2002 Silverado 2500 Gas 6.0 1941 Chevy 1/2-Ton 1942 Chevy 1.5-Ton SWBIn the Gallery My Flicker Photos! | | | | | Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 887 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 887 | I've always wanted to take two heads from an appropriately sized and spaced v-8, lop off one cylinder and then weld the two 3-cylinder heads together and mount them on a 261 with the intake on one side and exhaust on the other.
I read somewhere that someone did that and it worked well, but I haven't been able to find the article since I first saw it.
'51 Chevy 1/2 ton w/'62 261, HEI, offy, fentons, dual carter/webbers, t-5 & 12 bolt posi
| | |
| |
| |