The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (Forty9, Danielbolt, TexasA&M48Truck, Bill Hanlon, Ridgeback, 39Master85, Barry Martak), 85 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,093
Posts1,056,480
Members48,444
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#229258 03/13/2007 5:01 AM
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,418
J
Former Workshop Owner
Former Workshop Owner
J Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,418
I picked up a copy of his 1954 (reprint) Chevy Inline 6 Speed Tip book at a swap meet yesterday. I have only skimmed through a couple chapters, but it looks like it will be some interesting reading.

Has anyone else read it, and are there any more similar books that anyone can recommend?

I have acquired a couple 235's and one 216 that I am tempted to experiment with.

John


~ J Lucas
2006 GMC Envoy 4.2 I6
2023 Ram 2500/Cumins 6.7 I6
2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Wife’s)
2002 Silverado 2500 Gas 6.0
1941 Chevy 1/2-Ton
1942 Chevy 1.5-Ton SWB
In the Gallery
My Flicker Photos!
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,897
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,897
The 235s are a much better place to start... if they are full pressure 235s. The 216 requires a lot more work on the bottom end and then has the smaller displacement. If you want to get real serious, you would build a 261 chevy, or a 270 or 302 gmc. There is no substitute for displacement.

John

P.S. I have the little yellow book... California Bill Fisher's GMC Speed Manual. It is good reading, but is a little out of date. He talks about knurling pistons, a practice that simply isn't done today, and grinding the crank an extra 2 thousandths fore more oil flow to the bearings, which again isn't common practice.

Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 874
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 874
Another one is How to Hop up Chevy and GMC engines. Link


Steve

'49 3800
'52 3600
'57 3100

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 841
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 841
ive got copys of both of them and they are great. especially the prices they quote. wink

Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,418
J
Former Workshop Owner
Former Workshop Owner
J Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,418
Thanks, I forgot to count the 235 that is in the truck. So I have 4 total that I can take apart, 2 full pressure 235s, 1 each 235 and 216 low pressure (dippers).
I have some steel parts tubs that I can use to help keep the parts separated. I will probably take apart 2 and pick the one in the best shape to rebuild.

Never messed with an inline before, I always replaced them with V8's. This is going to be a learning experience.

Thanks Again

John


~ J Lucas
2006 GMC Envoy 4.2 I6
2023 Ram 2500/Cumins 6.7 I6
2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Wife’s)
2002 Silverado 2500 Gas 6.0
1941 Chevy 1/2-Ton
1942 Chevy 1.5-Ton SWB
In the Gallery
My Flicker Photos!
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 887
N
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
N Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 887
I've always wanted to take two heads from an appropriately sized and spaced v-8, lop off one cylinder and then weld the two 3-cylinder heads together and mount them on a 261 with the intake on one side and exhaust on the other.

I read somewhere that someone did that and it worked well, but I haven't been able to find the article since I first saw it.


'51 Chevy 1/2 ton w/'62 261, HEI, offy, fentons, dual carter/webbers, t-5 & 12 bolt posi

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0