The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 206 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,441
Members48,443
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 12
L
Junior Member
Junior Member
L Offline
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 12
I have a 49 3100 and clear Florida title. I used the previous title from Ohio to register it. Does Chevrolet have a service that searches the Vin number I have and matches it? I have (almost, now) sold the truck and the buyer (rightly) has pointed out to me that there is no tag on the truck. It matches the descriptions and signs it is a 49 as the title says, but I will do the work to get another ID plate and resell the truck later, if need be.

VIN CE1A00343

Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 12
L
Junior Member
Junior Member
L Offline
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 12
It sure does. That might be a problem. The truck has a 70's engine and tranny. I bet the guy (now dead) who did the work used the wrong numbers, as the truck is surely a 49.

I wonder what other marks are on the truck that can help me?

Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 34
D
Apprentice
Apprentice
D Offline
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 34
I was wondering the same thing about my 65. The only vin plate i found was in the owners manual. I ran it and it came back to a 65 black truck like mine, but i can not find any other vin number anywhere.


1965 Chevy C-10
All Original
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,464
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,464
In many cases old vehicles were registered using engine no.s and, of course, when the engine wore out and a new one was put in, the no.s didn't match anymore. If the title is clear, you can buy repopped vin tags (blank) for your year and stamp the no.s on yourself. I've heard that vin no's were sometimes put on the frame, drivers side, in the area of the steering box but my '53 has no such nos. My truck sat for years, title was lost, it was reregistered about 10 years ago and the DMV just assigned a new number to it. I've got a new vin plate with the new number on it, as long as DMV is happy, I'm happy!

Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
The 49 would most likely have used the engine number as the VIN for the title. Any number on a data plate would have been the serial number, not normally used on the title. If the PO used the titling info from the donor vehicle & that number isn't on your truck you do seem to have a bit of a problem. Contact your state DMV to get their process for reconciling the issue. Calling your local tag office is the best place to start. Any advise other than from the controlling authority is just speculation.


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 12
L
Junior Member
Junior Member
L Offline
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 12
Really great information! Thanks. I do have it registered and from what I read here and on line it looks like at this vintage truck the DMV cares not about anything but liens. A classic collector would not want my truck because of the changed out motor. The buyer is looking in to his state's willingness to register it on the title only, that they don't care about numbers before 1950 (we think).

I am going to check out the frame and see what is there.

I just went through this on my 68 International and had to get the title searched and changed to match the body numbers to the year (wrong title year on PO's title). That took several months.


Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0