Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,128 Posts1,056,358 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 168 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 168 | I'm finally to the point where I need to seriously make decisions on the paint scheme of my truck. The truck is a 55.1 Chevy 3604 NAPCO 4x4. The truck was originally a 3 window cab, but I plan on using a 5 window cab, as I prefer the corner windows for visibility. My question is about deluxe cab options, and what was available. If the truck were a 54, I might actually leave it as a standard cab, because I don't mind the grille being body colored. The bombay ivory grille of the 55.1 standard cabs though, I really don't like. So, I am ugrading to full chrome trim. Now, on a full chrome trim truck, was it possible or not to have the standard paint scheme, in other words, black running boards, black wheels, etc? At one point, I had decided to do the two tone green interior, but now I think I'll stay with one of the two standard schemes...Just not sure if I'm going back to Pearl Beige, or Pulsar Grey. Another question is for anyone out there that has installed, and is using a unison type seat. I recently had a complete unit given to me. How do you like the seat? It is a rare and desirable option, I know, but is it comfortable? Ok, next question...From what I have seen, interior and exterior mirrors, regardless of trim package were painted. Is this correct? Thanks for any help!
1956 GMC 100 NAPCO Deluxe 1955.1 Chevy 3600 NAPCO 1954 Chevy 3600 NAPCO
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | Josh?
Here are a few answers and opinions about 54/55 Chevy options:
1. "The bombay ivory grille of the 55.1 standard cabs though, I really don't like." -> The 55-1st grill was supposedly white with black inner bars (looks better than all white, I think).
2. "Now, on a full chrome trim truck, was it possible or not to have the standard paint scheme, in other words, black running boards, black wheels, etc?" -> Yes. The RPO 393 Chrome Equipment option could be ordered on a 3-window or 5-window cab, and could be ordered with standard paint job (black wheels and running boards).
3. "Another question is for anyone out there that has installed, and is using a unison type seat. I recently had a complete unit given to me. How do you like the seat? It is a rare and desirable option, I know, but is it comfortable?" -> I will be putting a set in my '54 1/2 ton Hydra-Matic. My guess is that it is more comfortable, because it was standard on on some of the larger models. Let's see if Greg Hill responds to this one.
4. "From what I have seen, interior and exterior mirrors, regardless of trim package were painted. Is this correct?" -> Exterior mirrors were painted black and the standard mirror(s) were 5" round. The mirror arms were also black. Let me know if you are interested in a source of matching 5" round mirrors with ribs on the back - one flat glass and one convex glass (about $25, delivered). -> Interior mirrors: I do not know if a stainless and a painted "standard" mirror was available; a day/night accessory mirror with stainless back was available.
I'd like to see your truck someday but that is not likely, with a continent between us.
Tim | | | | | Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 2,549 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 2,549 | I've owned, & driven a couple of COE's around with the Unison Seat in them, & even though I like them, in my opinion, the bench seat is more comfortable. The Unison seat has me closer to the steering wheel. | | | | | Joined: Aug 2001 Posts: 1,299 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2001 Posts: 1,299 | I have not been able to sit in a unison seat equip. truck yet. I find Spanky's comment about being closer to steering wheel interesting but I am not a very tall person so it may just work out in my favor on this one. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | Greg,
It might not be a height issue - maybe a girth issue (an issue I should check into)?
Tim | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 168 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 168 | Thanks guys...This info helps a lot. Tim, yes, it's me. Have you seen a factory rearview mirror arm in a 54-55.1 that is chrome? Every one I've seen has been painted, both in trucks, and NOS. If that unison seat is that much of girth crowder, I may just stick with the bench seat. It's bad enough.
1956 GMC 100 NAPCO Deluxe 1955.1 Chevy 3600 NAPCO 1954 Chevy 3600 NAPCO
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2001 Posts: 1,299 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2001 Posts: 1,299 | I am not sure that I understand where a distance loss could be had. It looks to me that the seat is as adjustable as the bench but then again, It has been years since I saw one in person in a truck. I do have those pics of the burgundy unison interior that I sent to Tim. headed your way in a second Josh. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 2,549 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 2,549 | The Unison Seats in my COE's didn't go all the way back against the inside of the cab, as the bench seat does. Also seemed to have you sitting in a more "back straight" position. As I said, I still like them, & plan to reinstall mine, after, I finish painting the interior. My "girth" ratio, is not that bad, at the moment. I'm only 6ft. 235lb.s, a former Weight lifter,& Body builder. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 168 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 168 | I'm not sure, Tim...My guess would be that JC sells them chrome because I'd guess most people would want chrome. I'm trying to establish whether or not it was a factory option or not...I'm only saying that I have not seen original equipment chrome mirror arms yet. That doesn't mean they didn't exist. All of the ones I've seen were painted something close to Pearl Beige. The other thing I wanted to ask is if anyone knows for certain whether the trim ring on 54-55.1 tail lights was ever anything other than painted black from the factory? Every NOS tail lamp I've seen, whether included in a turnsignal kit or not, has been completely black...No chrome or stainless trim ring ever. I think the 55-59's may have introduced these in their deluxe package, as my 56 GMC 100 has a very old, and decrepit looking chrome trim ring on its factory tail lamp. The right side lamp looks to have been knocked off somwhere along the way. Any ideas on the tail lamp conundrum?
1956 GMC 100 NAPCO Deluxe 1955.1 Chevy 3600 NAPCO 1954 Chevy 3600 NAPCO
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | Josh,
The late 1954 Truck Data Book does not show chromed exterior mirror arms (or chromed/stainless mirror backs) in any of the RPO mirrors or accessory mirrors.
That Data Book does not mention if the standard interior rear view mirror back (and attachment arm/bracket) is painted, chromed, or stainless. My guess is that the interior rear view mirror arm/bracket was painted and the interior rear view mirror back was stainless.
Tim | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 168 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 168 | Fair enough! I'll just do what looks best then! Thanks, Tim! Any thoughts on the tail light trim rings?
1956 GMC 100 NAPCO Deluxe 1955.1 Chevy 3600 NAPCO 1954 Chevy 3600 NAPCO
| | |
| |