| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
3 members (FAST55, classicfins, 1 invisible),
64
guests, and
1
robot. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,108 Posts1,056,568 Members48,448 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 547 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 547 | I was driving my 58' around and it started to make some noises and some vibrations from the driver side front wheel. I pulled over and looked underneath it and couldn't see anything. I pulled the wheel off and checked a few things but nada came up. I did notice how my tie rod was connecting to the wheel. I looked a little off, no side to side because my steering hasnt been affected, but it did seem to be loose going front-to-back. I also will check by bearing but I am leaning towards the tie rod.
Has anyone experianced this type of problem before? Any ideas/ solutions would be greatly appreciated! I will try to post some picture, but all I have is my phone for that. Pre-Thank you to all!
58' 3200 235 3-speed/OD
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 547 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 547 | Ok, after closer inspection I believe it is my wheel bearing. This just kinda stinks because I don't have all the tools to fix it right away.
58' 3200 235 3-speed/OD
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | if you didn't feel it in the steering wheel, it's unlikely to do with the tie rod - did you spin the drum when you had the wheel off? or better, take the drum off and look at the bearings and brakes? and you might also check the spring shackles for wear that lets them shift side to side
Bill | | | | | Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 547 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 547 | I did not feel it in the steering wheel. I did spin the drum but all I felt was the drag of the brakes. I will give the bearing and brakes a good going over tomarrow when the sun comes out  ! Thanks for the ideas and help! EDIT: I forgot to add that the sounds are sometimes intermittent and sometimes a steading grinding. More and more its sounding like the bearings.
58' 3200 235 3-speed/OD
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 1,317 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 1,317 | I've noticed that front wheel bearing noise will be amplified when you turn one way or the other while driving. Weight shift, loads the defective bearing.
Brakes really shouldn't be dragging...a bad bearing will also run hotter..feel the hub...but a brake dragging will also.
Sounds like it's time to pull the wheels and check for dry and galled bearings. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2006 Posts: 74 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2006 Posts: 74 | I heard grinding noises when my wheel bearing went bad but sence my truck always makes noises i didnt think anything of it until i got the my auto shop class and looked at the wheel. The hub had exploded and the outer bearing was gone so was most of the hub im lucky that my wheel did not come off.
But ya its not that hard to change the wheel bearings and i was lucky the local pick and pull had a 62 chevy tat i could get a new hub from.
just thought id tell my story. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 547 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 547 | Well I took it apart and the bearings are fine. I tightened them up a little more and it still is happening, but I did notice that there is a little too much play in the king pin. Would a loose or damaged king pin cause these kind of symptoms? Thank you all for you help so far!
58' 3200 235 3-speed/OD
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | yes - shouldn't be any play, should only turn smoothly .... and hopefully you didn't tighten those wheel bearing toooo tight
Bill | | | | | Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 547 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 547 | Well good thing I already have replacement king pins, I just havent gotten around to replacing them yet. If the bearings are too tight it wont matter because the truck is going to sit in my parking lot until I get the rest of the tools and parts down here to fix it. Thanks alot red58 for all your help and every one else!
58' 3200 235 3-speed/OD
| | | | | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 | Make sure you get the lug nuts properly tightened as well. Loose lug nuts will cause the vibration/noises that you are hearing in addition to kingpins. The preferred method is to use a torque wrench, the spec is 45-65 ft/lbs for a '55-'59 1/2 ton.
Bill Burmeister | | |
| |
| |