The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Peggy M, Deegs53, moparguy), 59 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,129
Posts1,056,700
Members48,454
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 27
C
Member
Member
C Offline
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 27
Is there a correct order in which to bleed brakes, I have just installed new drums and brake wheel cylinders? And just a question the drums are very hard to turn even with the cylinders turned all the way in, is this the way they are supposed to be when new? Another question how do you connect the choke cable to the carb in a 50 Chevy 1/2 ton...either I am missing linkage or I just don't know where to connect it to? And how do you adjust the parking brake so the parking brake pedal stays engaged...mine slowing slips back up to disengaged position, what is my problem?

Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 504
5
Member
Member
5 Offline
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 504
Ask five guys and you will get five answers on the brake bleeding. I like to start at the right rear, then left rear, right front, and finally left front..

Your drums should not drag with the adjusters all the way in. Remember on those Hucks that you need to turn the adjusting wheel clockwise to adjust the shoes outward. That is clockwise as you face the end of the wheel cylinder you are working on. You may want to pull the drums that are dragging and check to be sure the adjuster is turned all the way in. Also be sure that the shoes are seated on the pins and that the brake springs are installed properly to return the shoes away from the drums..

Another source of drag for the front drums could be wheel bearings that are too tight..In the rear check to be sure your emergency brake linkage is hooked up properly.

As for your choke, there are a few different carbs that would fit your motor. In general, there should be a round strap with a screw that holds the braided section of the choke cable in place. The wire that comes out of the braided section connects directly to the choke plate to pivot it to the open or closed position...

Keep at it, it sounds like you are making progress...


Bill M
53 GMC Hydra-Matic

Home Page
http://home.comcast.net/~bd97/index.html

When you argue with a fool, two fools are arguing..
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 27
C
Member
Member
C Offline
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 27
What do you mean when you say that wheel bearings in the front may be too tight...I just put in new bearings ...just curious....

Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
4
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
4 Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
If you torque them too tight they will be hard to turn. The torque on the bolt adjusts the side and end play in the bearings.


Paint & Body Shop moderator
A lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,745
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,745
You torque them and then back them off enough to install the pin.


54 3100 with 235
62 flatbed dump C60 with 261
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 27
C
Member
Member
C Offline
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 27
Usually all I do is get them hand tight and put the pin in ....is this not sufficient?

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,745
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,745
It doesn't seat the bearings and might lead to side to side runout.


54 3100 with 235
62 flatbed dump C60 with 261
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 23
H
Member
Member
H Offline
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 23
i just did my front bearings and the manual says 22 ft lbs i think? it's not in front of me and can't remember


1961 Chev 3/4
1977 Chev Nova
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 27
Y
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
Y Offline
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 27
citypat, 98% of the time when I had drum brakes dragging when they were adjusted in all the way, I found out that the shoes were mixed up (trailing-leading). If you look at the shoes from the side one may have shorter pad material than the other. The shorter pad (leading) should go on the front. If you have one side hard and one easy you may have both leading on one side and both trailing on the other side. Hope this helps. wink


1954 Chevy 3100 235
2 Yamaha YSR50's
05 Silverado crew
00 Yamaha TT-R125 Supermoto
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 27
C
Member
Member
C Offline
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 27
I never knew that... I will have to check that leading/trailing shoe thing out...I hope that isn't the problem...as they would have to come all apart aagain!! But at least I could put them on easier...they are very hard to put on both sides...one is not easier than the other so this baffles me!! But I will check that out tonite, thanks for the tip!! I guess I will have to buy a torque wrench to torque the nut that holds those drums in place as well.

Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
4
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
4 Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
A '50 has Huck brakes and the shoes are identical front-back; it is not a self-energizing design.


Paint & Body Shop moderator
A lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 27
C
Member
Member
C Offline
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 27
So the lead/trail thing is wrong then? I thought both were the same in length...

Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,897
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,897
Citypat, do you have a way to take a picture of the front brakes as you have them installed on the truck?
I am suspecting they are either not seated in place properly or they MAY have the wrong thickness of lining on the shoes themselves.

Let us know.


There is enough good in the worst of us and enough bad in the best of us that it does not behoove any of us to criticize the rest of us.
-
-
Be yourself. If you are ever lost, It will be much easier to find yourself if you know who you are!
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 1,271
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 1,271
Re: The Choke -- There should be an aparatus on the passenger side of the carb to pull the butterflies shut.

Re: The Parking Brake -- It's a pretty lousy setup that works by friction alone! The pedal-shaft goes through a hole in a second piece of metal and when you press the pedal down, it's suppose to jam up in the hole ... when you pull the release knob, it realigns the metal with the hole in it so the friction is released.

I removed mine and installed a [b]Gennie Shifter with Side-Mounted Hand Brake[/b]

Here's a picture of the outfit I removed (it's up for sale at my site):

[img]http://AlanHorvath.com/54chevy/chevypics/oldEbrake.jpg[/img]


~~ Alan Horvath
1954 Chevy Pickup
Singing his praises in the
Passing Lane
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Actually the apparatus Alan mentions holds the housings for the choke and throttle cables. The cables do the pulling.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 27
C
Member
Member
C Offline
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 27
I took a look and see no apparatus like that...I am guessing I must not have the original carb on the 235...anyojne ahave a link to one? I will take a pic of my front brake apparatus tonite and try and figure out how to post it on here ...any tips on how to post a digital camera picture on here? Got it running last nite but the front brakes are still dragging slightly...I am beginning to think that the brake pads might be too thick...

Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 504
5
Member
Member
5 Offline
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 504
citypat, You need to put the pic on the internet, on a hosting site. Sometimes your internet provider will have space for you to use. After you host it, you copy the URL and use the image button below.

If you would like to E mail the pic to me, I will post it here for you..

[email protected]

I took pictures when we did the brake work on the Kook's truck. They can be found here on his page..

They were scanned photos, not digital, so they are not the best. There is a front and rear shot, they may help a bit..


Bill M
53 GMC Hydra-Matic

Home Page
http://home.comcast.net/~bd97/index.html

When you argue with a fool, two fools are arguing..
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 27
Y
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
Y Offline
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 27
Sorry about misleading you Citypat on the trailing, leading thing. I just got finished rebuilding the wheel cylinders on my 54 and it had that kind, but they may not be the right brakes. Good luck, this forum is great for info like this. :rolleyes:


1954 Chevy 3100 235
2 Yamaha YSR50's
05 Silverado crew
00 Yamaha TT-R125 Supermoto
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
The choke apparatus.........

[img]http://www.jbhardin-gallery.com/trucks/brkt.jpg[/img]


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
What you need is the bracket that shows in Cletis' picture. It mounts on the corner screw on the carb, with the choke cable running from right to left, looking towards the front of the engine. The throttle cable runs top to bottom. Here's a shot from a distance, should help put it in perspective. Put an ad in the swap meet if you need one.
[img]http://www.thriftauto.com/fredsengine.jpg[/img]


Fred
52 3600
69 C-10
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 27
C
Member
Member
C Offline
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 27
Thanks for the pic...I will have to look tonite...I think my carb is missing that plate to attach the cable to...

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,745
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,745
I had the same problem when I bought a choke cable to install on my 54. I think what happens a lot is that people send in their carbs as cores and don't realize the replacement might not come with this stuff.

I got the bracket from Mothertrucker who threw it in when I was ordering some other nicnacs.

What I did though as a temporary measure is to take a metal bracket that is meant to hold down 1/2 inch metal electrical conduit. This looks like a little saddle with two screw holes. Bend the screw holes so they touch and you now have something that will capture the choke cable. Put the screw through the hole to tighten.

I ended up getting the real bracket from MT because it also is supposed to hold the throttle cable.


54 3100 with 235
62 flatbed dump C60 with 261
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 27
C
Member
Member
C Offline
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 27
Thanks for the tip...now that you mention it I don't have a throttle cable hooked up either....sorry to bother all u again....where does it attach?

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,745
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,745
Look at the detailed picture again. The throttle cable attaches to the same original bracket. The throttle is vertical and the choke is horizontal.


54 3100 with 235
62 flatbed dump C60 with 261
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 27
C
Member
Member
C Offline
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 27
Got ya, thanks!!Now all I have to do is figure out how to set my parking brake so it works...I am using the exact setup that is posted on here...the brake will not stay in engaged though it slowly creeps back out to the start position.

Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,377
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,377
Did you figure out the drums hard to turn problem yet? I run into the same problem when I either put new shoes or had the originals relined on my 37 which are the same style as a 50 (its been over twenty years) the parts store that I dealt with rearched the shoes so they would fit the drums better. I dont know if there is anyone now who could do that and after drving the truck I realized that if I turned the drums as they are out of round that the shoes would of probably fit better. I would check the drums and have them turned if the problem still exists.


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0