The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (KEVINSKI, DadsFirstPickup, Hanks custodian, Ponchogl), 198 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,108
Posts1,056,230
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 446
I
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
I Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 446
Why is my oil breather cap spilling oil on to my valve cover?

Does it need cleaning and if so how? Or should I replace it? Also, when I stop the engine, vapor comes out of the oil breather cap. How much is normal?

The cap looks to be in good shape. This is on a 1960, 235 six. The engine runs great otherwise.

Thanks.

Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
the lack of a PCV setup allows worn engines to put a bit of interior fuming out the breather, and the vapor when you shut it off is just hot, moist air rising .... if there's whiteish/brown crude built up on the inside of the cap and around it's spot in the cover, yer running the engine too cold, or "short tripping", and that will plug the filter material some ... not much to be done really, but you could clean the cap by sloshing it out with solvent ... and you could move to a warmer, drier climate grin

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 446
I
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
I Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 446
Thanks for the info.

I will try some kersone as solvent to clean the cap. I believe that's what was used back then wasn't it?

Thanks again.

Jeff ( Iron Clad )

Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 738
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 738
Funny, my 61 does the exact same thing. She puffs a little cloud of smoke from the brather cap when I shut her down. I just assumed it was normal for a 45 year old truck to do this. It might need a new breather cap, but whats the point in changing it when it will just fill up again with oil. Anyways, it made me laugh to hear about someone with the same quirky motor thing.


"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - George S. Patton

My Machine
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 30
6
New Guy
New Guy
6 Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 30
Ja mine does the same. Was concerned but it is normal it seems. Ive got a new cap and it still smokes after a shutdown, but does not get clogged. The fumes smell of hot oil so I presume my engine is a bit long in the tooth!

Joined: May 2003
Posts: 1,271
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 1,271
I'm running a 350sbc but under my oil breather cap, in the valve cover, there's a 1-inch strip of steel that blocks most of the hole. It's a bit of a pain when I'm putting oil in; I have to go slow ... but they say it's there to keep oil from pumping out.


~~ Alan Horvath
1954 Chevy Pickup
Singing his praises in the
Passing Lane

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0