The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (KEVINSKI, DadsFirstPickup, Hanks custodian, Ponchogl), 198 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,108
Posts1,056,230
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 962
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 962
Guys,

The Pioneer tape deck died in my '54 Bel-Air. Are new shaft-mount radios still made? It doesn't have to be one of those period-correct looking ones. All I need is a digital tuner and RCA outputs. Don't want to cut the dash for a CD player, or one of those "hidden" radios.

thanks....


Preaching the Hot Rod Gospel according to the 4-stroke apostles:

Suck, Squish, Fire and Fumes
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,682
F
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
F Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,682
They're what we used to call 'knob job' radios because they had two knobs.. generally one for tuning, and the other for volume.

I haven't seen new 'knob job' radios in quite a few years.

I'd check the local bone yards.. you might find one that got left in a vehicle when it got junked.

I have seen some outfits online selling those style radios.. intended for use in old muscle cars and such.. generally with a tape deck built in and some obscenely large Chevrolet logo on the tape door.. but they can be kind of pricey.


an idea is only stupid if you think about it rationally.
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
yeah, pricey, but fit right in

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 119
F
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
F Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 119

Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 595
1
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
1 Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 595
their are company's that will convert stock am radio's to fm, remote cd player's probably even i-pod players. that will retain stock look of your dash.

Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 266
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 266
I have one of these and it works great, although the knobs aren't quite up to farm duty (thank goodness for Krazy Glue). I got it for Christmas 2 years ago. I think it was somewhere in the neighborhood of $200 (Mom ordered it out of my LMC catalog).

Custom Auto Sound

Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
I,ve always liked those radio,s for old cars & trucks. They are easy to install without butchering the dash. I bought the last one available from one of the big electronic stores. It was the display model but they sold it for half price. I pick them up at swap meets for between $5 & $20.00. They usually work but the last one I just put in the display doesn,t light up.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,682
F
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
F Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,682
Quote
Originally posted by Wrenchbender Ret.:
I,ve always liked those radio,s for old cars & trucks. They are easy to install without butchering the dash. I bought the last one available from one of the big electronic stores. It was the display model but they sold it for half price. I pick them up at swap meets for between $5 & $20.00. They usually work but the last one I just put in the display doesn,t light up.
If the radio works, but the display won't come on, that's a pretty easy fix, my man.

Those old digital display 'knob job' radios just used a little 1.5V light bulb to backlight the digital display, and once you get the old bulb out, you can get a close enough replacement from your local neighborhood Radio Shack store.

The newer radios, with much higher resolution displays need more light, so they use what is basically a little baby flourecent bulb.. a much bigger pain in the *** to source parts for, especially when your only real parts resource is an MCM catalog or Radio Shack.

But the old digital display 'knob job' radio backlights are cake to fix if you're handy with a soldiering iron and a screwdriver.

The other common reason those radios die is because some idiot kid thought he was an electronics expert and hooked 'em up to power backwards.. which pops a diode in the back of the radio designed as a 'safety' for the rest of the circuit.. kind of like a fuse.. they're easy to identify.. just look for the black scorch mark on the circuit board in the general area where the power wires go in the back of the radio.

Jumper the scorch with a chunk of resistor leg, and away you go.. just don't hook the radio up backwards!


an idea is only stupid if you think about it rationally.
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
4
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
4 Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
I've got an old Pioneer Supertuner stereo radio and tape deck knob job with a 25w amp that has been sitting on a shelf. It works, you can have it for free if you pay shipping, just email me your address. I had been saving it for something and never used it.

Otherwise, try walmart or kmart or an autoparts store and see what they have in the cheapo section.


Paint & Body Shop moderator
A lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 19
F
New Guy
New Guy
F Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 19
Yes, you can still buy that style of radio but are getting hard to find. I needed one recently for a truck here on the farm and was going to have to order it from a local radio shop they didn't keep any in stock anymore. Cheapest I found was $159.00. I did try wal-mart and all the other local stores but no luck.

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 613
Z
Member
Member
Z Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 613
the last time i looked autozone had an offbrand shaft radio.

Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 1,132
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 1,132
Fumblin, whats a shaft radio? Weeds

Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 962
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 962
Hi 4onthefloor

I sent you a PM.

thanx.....!


Preaching the Hot Rod Gospel according to the 4-stroke apostles:

Suck, Squish, Fire and Fumes
Joined: Jan 1970
Posts: 365
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Jan 1970
Posts: 365
Not to hijack this thread, but does anyone know the dimensions required for the new slide-in radios? Since the dash on my 51 is already butchered, I was wondering just how big these radios are. I am contemplating making a 'hood' that will stick out of the dash just enough to accomodate the radio or making some sort of housing that would mount the radio in the center of the cab near the windshield.n Right now I don't have a headliner in so I have several options.

Any suggestions, links, pics would be appreciated.


Remember 9-11-01--God Bless the USA
JUSTICE, not REVENGE, will prevail

1951 Chevy 1/2-ton Pickup truck
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 112
F
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
F Offline
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 112
Ebay is the best and cheapest way to find one, look for NOS


64 & 66 GMC long fleetside 4x4
Cartwright, OK
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,682
F
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
F Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,682
Quote
Originally posted by Weeds:
Fumblin, whats a shaft radio? Weeds
It's one mad mother fu..

SHUT 'CHO MOUTH!

What?? I'm just talkin' 'bout a radio!

WE CAN DIG IT!


an idea is only stupid if you think about it rationally.
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
4
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
4 Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
The rectangular DIN decks need an opening of 7.2x2.11 inches. There are also double DIN decks that are 7.2x4.22.


Paint & Body Shop moderator
A lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0