The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
10 members (Gray_Ghost, Nick in Manitou, Gdads51, Jon G, Otto Skorzeny, Hotrod Lincoln, walter74, LAROKE, 2 invisible), 107 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,131
Posts1,056,372
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 167
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 167
Hi Guys,
I was wondering something. Today I pulled the V8 bellhousing off of a 350, and looking at the clutch + disc made me wonder. The V8 clutch setup looks identical to the 235 clutch + disc. Were these the same on both engines, and if so could I use the new clutch off the 235 on the 350?

Also the bolt pattern on the back of V8 bellhousing is different than the one on the 235 bellhousing. The V8 bellhousing had a either a SM420 or SM460 (4 speed), and one of the right side bolts holes is off center, where the 235 bellhousing is all perfectly lined up.

Can I get away with using 3 of the 4 bolts mounting a saginaw 3 speed to the bellhousing with no problems, or will I have to have a machine shop drill out a new hole?

This is a temp setup until I can drop in a automatic.
TIA,
David


My truck don't leak oil, it just marks its teritory.
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 110
T
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
T Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 110
Chevyboy,
Measure the clutch discs and see if they are the same diameter. If so and the spline is the same, then it should fit. Cast iron is easy to drill and tap, if the area your are making another whole in is the thicker (re-inforced) area. Also, I have taken out transmissions many times in the last 50 years that had a bolt missing and you could tell it had been gone for a long time. For a temporary set-up, I would go for three.

Truck Tinker


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0