The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (GDW, ‘37ChevyPU, Gdads51, Shaffer's1950, Otto Skorzeny), 100 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,139
Posts1,056,455
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 125
C
Member
Member
C Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 125
Pulled the heater from the '58. Sent the core out and had new core soldered in. Going to reinstall this week. Will be great to have heat in the 'ol girl... Question, what is the best lube for the cables?? I have rebuilt the deluxe controls and want to do everything possible NOT to break another lever.. (seems like someone would make replacements that are not potmetal). Tempted to mill some out of steel stock... Anyway, what it the best lube?? thanks in advance

Carl


'58 3600 350/4-sp/stepside/big window cab
'59 3100 235/4-sp/stepside
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 564
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 564
For my '62 heater cable, first I hosed the whole thing down with brake cleaner. REALLY hosed it down. Then I shot it with WD40 and let that soak the wire.

Then hit it again with brake cleaner to remove the WD40.

Then I used simple white lithium grease on the heater cable. Put it on the exposed ends, and worked it back and forth by hand. A LOT.

Also bead blasted the entire duct work, which got rid of a lot of grime around the door, etc. Painted it all and put it back together. Works like a brand new unit.
Brad


SOUTHERN FALL GABfest
October 6 ~ Commerce, Georgia
Details here!


Never Pee on an Electric Fence.
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 483
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 483
While were on cables.How do I keep my throttle cable from being sucked back in after I have set it at the speed I want on the road? Do you put a slight bend in the shaft at the dash? I wish I had a friction lock like on air planes.

Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
Lubing control cables is a touchy subject. If you use an oil, dirt is attracted and it will gum up, making it hard to work. And the cable housing becomes a mess. But it does help keep the cable from rusting.

The other school believes that graphite powder is the lube to use. It doesn't attract dirt and does a good job of lubing the cable. But graphite doesn't protect against rust.

This is where I go to my gun cleaning supplies. Remington Drilube is a teflon based lubricant that dries on the surface and protects against rust without the mess of graphite. You can buy it at most gun shops, including some Wal-Marts.


Fred
52 3600
69 C-10
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 584
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 584
Hey Beaver, I don't think the intent of the throttle cable was cruise control. It is meant for use when starting cold. I don't think I would put any bends in it. I also don't think I would use it as cruise since it doesn't disengage with the brake.... eek


When I yield to Him, it's amazing how peaceful and enjoyable life is meant to be.

1947 Chevy COE
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More photos
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 223
N
'Bolter
'Bolter
N Offline
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 223
I also think one of the major uses intended for the throttle control was for using a PTO, but not a cruise control.


1950 Chevy 3100
261, 4 speed
Purchased 1977

1964 Pontiac Lemans Convert
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 720
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 720
Anyone ever try motorcycle chain wax? Deep penetrating, but dried with a harder less sticky surface to prevent dirt accumilation.
Just a thought anyway, I may try it myself when I get to that point.


1956 GMC 370 dump " 'Tater "
1970 VW Volksrod "the Black Bomber"
2007 Chevy Avalanche
2020 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk,
2005 Harley Davidson FLHTCUI

I dig all cars, old and new, whether they were hammered out of American iron, German steel, or Japanese tin cans. Being unable to appreciate them all is missing out on a world of great things.
But thats just MY opinion!
:P
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,384
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,384
I have used PJ1 motorcycle chain lube. Ditto on the WD40 for cleaning & working them loose. Brian


My \'64\'s in the Gallery
Pictures in my Photobucket
1964 C10 Custom Cab 350/700R4
1964 Suburban 350/700R4
1979 Ford F350 4x4 400/c6
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 843
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 843
I've had good luck with auto trans fluid.take the cable off and dunk it in a pan of the stuff and let it soak.Yes it's messy,clean the outside off and your good to go

Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 21
K
Junior Member
Junior Member
K Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 21
I have to agree with Fred T, though I'm not much of a shot. My other Stovebolt is a mountain bike and I've found many uses for the teflon based lubricants popular with two wheelers. Works like a charm on all cables and very inexpensive.


I wouldn't recommend drugs, alcohol, and violence to anyone...but they've worked well for me.

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0