The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Woodcmiami, Bill Hanlon), 100 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,113
Posts1,056,279
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#223120 12/31/2006 8:23 PM
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 125
J
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
J Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 125
I am about done cleaning the distributor and now that I am about to put it back together, I was wondering where I can get the pin for the drive gear. Are they pretty common items at auto parts stores such as Napa or Autozone or are they more common at hardware stores. I will also need a new one for the pinion unless a new pin comes with the 3.55 gear set from Patrick's. Does anybody know something about this?
thanks

Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
justin squire,

The pin that goes into the distributor drive gear should be available at a auto parts store or a hardware store.

The are commonly referred to a spring pins or roll pins. If I remember correctly, the type in your distributor was a "coiled" type...hard to find locally. I'm pretty sure a standard slotted spring pin would work fine.

They come in standard diameters, and using the hole through the gear, or through the shaft, it should be apparent what size is required.

Remember that the pin is naturally oversize and will 'mic' strangely. The fit should be a 'hammer' fit...not loose. If you go this route, be sure to cushion the gear in a wood cradle or something so you don't bust a tooth or bend the shaft.

Using a longer pin is fine. A small cutoff wheel or grinder can trim it to proper fit after being installed. Make sure you put the gear back on properly..not upside down! Good luck

Stuart

Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
The only pin I can think of for the rear end is the pin that retains the spider gear shaft. It screws in & hopefully <pray a lot> comes out in one piece. You may want to get the installation kit to go with the ring & pinion set.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 125
J
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
J Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 125
I am talking about the pin that holds the pinion assembly in the driveshaft. Normally it is inside the torque tube, but I have the driveshaft removed from the torque tube and I have already used a hammer and a punch to remove the old pin and release the pinion assembly from the slotted driveshaft. I just need to know if there is a new pin included with the ring and pinion gear set.

Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 874
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 874
That's the propeller shaft coupling pin/rivet.
I don't know if one comes with the Patrick's
kit...why don't you call and ask 'em?
If it doesn't come with the kit, you can get a new one from Obsolete Chevrolet Parts Co.


Steve

'49 3800
'52 3600
'57 3100

Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 874
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 874
Click here , select search for part number in upper left hand corner and enter part number 3657332 then click search. For some reason, I couldn't link right to the page with the pin on it.


The cool thing about these guys is that they use the original GM part numbers for a lot of their parts and also reference the original diagrams in the catalog.


Steve

'49 3800
'52 3600
'57 3100


Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0