The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (UtahYork, Millenimech, klhansen), 168 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,115
Posts1,056,289
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 338
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 338
I have a t5 transmission in my 1940 project and I would like to have a nice tall shift lever that looks more like what the original did.

The original lever doesn't really work because the location, even with the S-10 tailshaft, is too far back and the shifter will hit the seats. I have seen the shifter that comes with Patrick's saginaw conversion that looks real nice. It takes a nice forward jog before angling back toward the seats. Maybe he would sell just the shift lever?

Has anyone made their own shift lever? I am thinking of reversing the original and adding a bend to bring it back towards the seat. It should be pretty straight forward to weld a piece of flat stock on the bottom to attach it to the shifter.

Any ideas?


Bill Schickling

1940 1/2 ton, 1940 3/4 ton
My web page
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 483
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 483
Back in the late sixties I drove an 18 wheeler with the old 4 speed transmixer with 4 speed axle, 2 shifters ,what a blast, now it's done with a flipper,I made extensions for both, looked like ape hangers. Had many coments from other drivers. With the 318 v8 Detroit she was a runner. Not to many trucks stayed with me. Man those were the days.

Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
Heat the rod & bend it forward. get the shifter off a later model 4 speed & weld a nut on that will screw on the shifter. It looks like a factory 4 speed when you get through.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 338
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 338
Wrenchbender Ret.,

Thanks. I have the shiftlever from the 1940 3-speed. I made a template sort of thing from an old wire hanger (man I had to search to find one). So I have an idea of the shape that would work.


Bill Schickling

1940 1/2 ton, 1940 3/4 ton
My web page
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 424
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 424
Didn't 6cylindersovertexas just do this on his '37? Joe? Got your ears on?


To be long remembered as he's cruising in
The Passing Lane
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 637
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 637
I made my own shift lever for my 1932 'bolt many years ago. I used a 1/2 inch rod heated and bent to the shape I wanted, it worked like a charm and cost nothing, the rod was in my scrap pile. It was mounted on a Hurst type shifter on a Saginaw 4 speed trans.

Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
Bill, I just made mine using a B & M short throw shifter. I reshaped it and made a stick for it. All stainless steel and nice. grin

Joe smile


"Truckin' Around .......... Since 1937!"
My name is Joe and I am addicted to Classic Country Music. I just can't hep myself.
Operators are standing by to take your calls!
Now cruising in the Passing Lane
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
For my 10 speed Roadranger in my 48 I am planning to forge a stainless shifter. Start with a larger rod and taper it like the original, probably start with 3/4" and taper to 3/8". Leaving it so it looks forged, but with no scale, and no paint.
Grigg


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,317
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,317
Just a suggestion....to bend the S10 shifter you have to remove it from the base plate that bolts to the transmission. (The plastic bushings will melt) So why not stop by your local junkyard and pick up the shifter from a Mustang!!! Why a Mustang you say? Well, you've got the S10 base apart....the Mustang base/shifter will cost you about $10....take it out of it's base (it's bigger than the S10), drop it into your S10 base, retack and drop it into your transmission. So why all this swapping stuff? Well, the Mustang shifter is straight up, has a built in VIBRATION COLLAR so you can BOLT on your old sm420 stick (or whatever you want to use), bent to your favorite position and it won't VIBRATE when you're cruising down the road.

If none of this makes any sense, check out the pics of my modification on the 3rd or 4th page of my webshots shoebox. That's my $.02 and I'm stickin to it!!!


Webshot "Tips and tricks" and "Shoebox" Photo Albums

EXPERIENCE is the best teacher...but it gives the test first...and the lesson afterwards.

"What this generation tolerates...the next will embrace"
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 483
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 483
Liked them roadranger's also drove a 13 in a transtar with a 350 come on down cummings...Breaker 19, anybody copy, comeback.

Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 338
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 338
Hey thanks,

Here is a picture of my B & M short throw shifter that I am starting with:

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e211/schickling/DSCN1257.jpg

I can drill two holes in just about anything and attach it to the shifter. Looks like I need to bend up something.

I would love it to be tapered like the old one. I can't imagime that is very easy. smile


Bill Schickling

1940 1/2 ton, 1940 3/4 ton
My web page
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,031
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,031
yes
and yes berry you are right.... joe did recently asked this same question.

I made my own. I took a 1/2'' steel rod. chucked it up on the lathe and filed down (the end so it makes a taper from about 10'' down to the end). the end was drilled to accept a 5/16''x24 bolt (your typical black plane shifter knob) thread, brazed in situ, simply screw the black knob on. the other end was cut to length and threaded 1/2'' course, bent to fit the truck. the T5 short end stock shifter arm was heated and bent to line up w/ the new shifter (see link). it too was threaded 1/2'' course and i used a coupler to connect the two together. this coupler is hidded inside the custom shift boot. a pal nut or other locking nut holds it in situ and the T5 end coupler is loctited blue. Remember when you shape the T5 stock shifter it has to clear the seat when in the forward position.
http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/tranny/sandoval/h.jpg
this photo shows the stock shifter rod, I shortened the upright rod after i made it fairly straight (remove so the plastic does not melt~ as mentioned), it's about 1/2''dia. and threaded for the coupler.

it all looks very stock.

pictures after the truck is out of the paint shop.


Jim & Caroline
The highway is for gamblers, better use your good sense."
Gooday-that's my 1¢ answer due to the lousy economy ~ cause I ain't got - no . mo . doe

Every Shaver | Now Can Snore | Six More Minutes | Than Before ... | Half A Pound for Half a Dollar | Spread On Thin | Above the Collar || BURMA-SHAVE
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 345
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 345
Bill,

Somewhere on this site there are pictures that somebody took of a stock S 10 shifter they they reshaped. I know because I copied it for mine. Since the shifter is solid steel, it was easier for me to cut a wedge out of the front of it, pound it in order to bend, and then weld it. I'm sorry I can't find the pic right now but if you look, you'll find a link. The shifter clears the seat, but it is a bit short and the throw is very long. My permanent solution (some day) will be to buy a B&M T5 shifter #45049 which is supposed to be the correct application for an AD.

Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
tlorber -

I think you are talking about John Sandoval's (Steppenwood) Tech Tip on the installation of his T-5 in his 42 pick up and his T-5 S-10 shift stick on this site:

http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/tranny/sandoval/h.jpg

Joe smile


"Truckin' Around .......... Since 1937!"
My name is Joe and I am addicted to Classic Country Music. I just can't hep myself.
Operators are standing by to take your calls!
Now cruising in the Passing Lane
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,066
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,066
I had a machinist to make me an stainless extension that just screwed on to the s-10..and curved back a little.. looks good and works well for me.


Redryder pix
My Hotrod
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of "up to and including my life."
I am fighting cancer and I am winning the fight | Pain is part of life; misery is an option.

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,557
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,557
I think nm51 made his own.

I extended one for my 1951 . It started out a b&m shifter for the s-10 application.It was way to short for my truck.So i used part of a 1966 chevy stick and welded them together.Here is a link to it.

1966 married to b&m

modified shifter


1951 3100 Chevrolet
1951 Chevrolet Suburban Carryall
Image
"A house is built with boards and beams. A home is built with love and dreams."
"Look deep before you leap !!!" / "Everything is Everything"
"If I say a mouse can pull a house, hitch him up"
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 2,074
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 2,074
I tried the Mustang shifter, wouldn't work, the ball end, in the trans is shorter than the S-10 making the shift throw much longer. So, I cut off the top portion of the Mustang and welded it to the bottom end of the S-10 and bolted on my old Hurst lever. All this just to use the Hurst, but it came out nice.


It's easier to get forgiveness than permission!
1946 1/2-Ton Chevy
1953 Chevy 3/4-ton Factory Stakebed

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0