The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Otto Skorzeny, Wayne67vert, MNSmith, Peggy M, 50Chevy3100), 213 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,099
Posts1,056,168
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#22083 04/09/2002 5:11 AM
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 8
E
Member
Member
E Offline
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 8
Are there any good pics online of the mounting brackets for the 235 external oil canister? I have a canister,where can I find the bracket?

#22084 04/09/2002 6:31 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Put an ad in the Swapmeet section & you may get lucky on this part.

#22085 04/09/2002 3:10 PM
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,745
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,745
Mine is held onto the intake manifold with two U bolts.


54 3100 with 235
62 flatbed dump C60 with 261
#22086 04/09/2002 3:31 PM
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 1,904
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 1,904
Click on my home-page symbol. Maybe you can see enough in the one picture. (The last time I pointed folks at my home-page, Geocities shut it down saying there was too much traffic for a freebie.)


1948 3/4-Ton 5-Window Flatbed Chevrolet

34 Years. Now with a '61 261, 848 head, Rochester Monojet carb, SM420 4-speed, 4.10 rear, dual reservoir MC, Bendix up front, 235/85R16 tires, 12-volt w/alternator, electric wipers and a modern radio in the glove box.
#22087 04/10/2002 2:25 AM
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 16
4
Junior Member
Junior Member
4 Offline
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 16
Mine as well is held on by U bolts

#22088 04/10/2002 1:22 PM
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 18
O
Member
Member
O Offline
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 18
Don't know if you have a factory assembly manual but according to the 58 manual the filter is not not mounted perpendicular. Think the top is tilted 8 degrees away from the engine Don't know how important it would be ( except to some anal judge in a show ) but there must have been a reason I guess.


Life is to serious to be taken seriously
#22089 04/10/2002 3:16 PM
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,745
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,745
That is very interesting. I just took my filter off to do some headwork and thought the previous owner had been sloppy. I thought, as I took it off that at least I would put it back on straight. Duh

I wonder if the angle is with the exit tube uphill from the lowest point. This would aid in collection of heavier items since they don't want to go uphill. Thanks, I don't think I would have checked my manual for it's installation.


54 3100 with 235
62 flatbed dump C60 with 261
#22090 04/10/2002 3:22 PM
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
OGRE9 & Eugene,

The year of the 235 engine might be important to the installation and the type of filter. I think that the 261 engine changed in 1958 (58-62) to a full-flow oil filter. I hope that someone will comment on this, especially if the same thing in true for the 235 engine.

If Eugene has a '55 235 engine, the filter canister is most likely installed as in previous years. My 1953 AC instructions does not state/show anything about an 8 degree tilt.

By the way, I understand that an engine with full-flow oil filtration should not use the old canister filters that were used on the by-pass oil filtration engines (pre-'58?).

Tim

#22091 04/11/2002 1:59 PM
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 18
O
Member
Member
O Offline
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 18
Tim Can't speak to other years or displacements. Just thought it might be useful for him to check before installation . As to the filter elements I have had two guys tell me in all seriousness that back in the day some guys used rolls of toilet paper in their canisters . Probably not up to factory specs but certainly cheap eek
George


Life is to serious to be taken seriously
#22092 04/11/2002 2:10 PM
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 800
K
k10 Offline
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
K Offline
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 800
The 235 thru '61 did not have even a bypass filter as standard. At least on pickups.

#22093 04/11/2002 3:15 PM
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 1,904
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 1,904
Frantz sold a canister that took toilet paper. Somebody here or on another old truck page was looking for one.


1948 3/4-Ton 5-Window Flatbed Chevrolet

34 Years. Now with a '61 261, 848 head, Rochester Monojet carb, SM420 4-speed, 4.10 rear, dual reservoir MC, Bendix up front, 235/85R16 tires, 12-volt w/alternator, electric wipers and a modern radio in the glove box.
#22094 04/13/2002 6:21 AM
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 990
A
Member
Member
A Offline
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 990
i dunno, toilet paper filter? I have heard of em, but sounds crappy to me! :p

#22095 04/13/2002 2:01 PM
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Unscented toilet paper is recommended:

http://cartalk.cars.com/Columns/Archive/1994/July/01.html
http://cartalk.cars.com/Columns/Archive/1996/September/11.html

Hard to find the right size anymore (look down this page):

http://www.tagyerit.com/curiosities.htm

A more modern filter:

http://www.oilguard.com/side_menu/bypass_filtration/bypass_filters.php

And, for those of you looking for the original, for only $165, here is the Franz Filter:

http://www.wefilterit.com/

I will just replace the cartidge in my by-pass filter ('54 235) and adapt to a spin-on Fram Filter in my full-flow system ('60 261).

Tim

#22096 04/14/2002 4:37 AM
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 3
5
Member
Member
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 3
Again,,,,,,,,2 U BOLTS holding mine on also.

eek

#22097 04/15/2002 12:53 PM
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 50
R
rat Offline
Member
Member
R Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 50
I have 2 trucks, the 1952 has the filter mounted with 2 ubolts. the 1953 has a flat base and is mounted on the firewall. I understand there were a couple of manufactures so it depends on what you have. Wix was one AC was another and AC Delco was another. Don't know if there were any more. Chevy engine orange is real close to the original color of the AC delco.


'52 Chevy 5 window, it ran when I parked it
'53 Chevy 5 window, running the streets with me.
'55 Massey-Ferguson, tearing up the dirt
'89 Harley FXSTS, suicide clutch
'92 Harley FLSTC, equal time with the '89
#22098 04/15/2002 12:57 PM
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 50
R
rat Offline
Member
Member
R Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 50
correction, thats Wix and AC DElco, I had ac down twice.


'52 Chevy 5 window, it ran when I parked it
'53 Chevy 5 window, running the streets with me.
'55 Massey-Ferguson, tearing up the dirt
'89 Harley FXSTS, suicide clutch
'92 Harley FLSTC, equal time with the '89
#22099 04/15/2002 7:56 PM
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 7
C
Member
Member
C Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 7
I've got an extra canister w/u-bolts sitting in the garage. Make me an offer if you are intersted.


Travis Roberts
Waterloo, IL
'56 Bel Air 4 door Sedan (235 & 3 on the tree)
1995 1/2 Jeep Wrangler

56 Chevy Paint Codes and Pics
#22100 04/16/2002 2:17 AM
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
First, here's a picture of mine. Fred\'s Engine

There were many variations on the filters. Fram was the most popular. Some had larger fittings for the full flow 261. Some used tp, which doesn't do much for me. My Fram takes a Wix 51006 element, about $10 locally.


Fred
52 3600
69 C-10

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0