| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
0 members (),
82
guests, and
2
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,090 Posts1,056,378 Members48,442 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jul 2006 Posts: 8 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Jul 2006 Posts: 8 | How do I separate the original manual steering column from the steering gearbox on my '58 Chevy 1/2 ton pickup? | | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | you don't - it's a one piece unit, if ya wanna replace the column or the box, need to cut it or replace the whole thing
Bill | | | | | Joined: Jul 2006 Posts: 8 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Jul 2006 Posts: 8 | So I have to get a steering wheel puller to get the unit out of the truck? I'm trying to separate the cab for painting. Thanks | | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | yes, to remove the cab you have to pull the wheel and drop the column out from below - steering wheel puller is simple, if there's not a rental place nearby that has one, make yer own! might not even need one, sometimes they're easy to get off Bill | | | | | Joined: Dec 2004 Posts: 1,897 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2004 Posts: 1,897 | You might want to scribe the steering wheel and steering shaft before removal to get the steering wheel back on the same way it came off. Nothing is more annoying than a steering wheel off of center... well almost nothing anyway.  | | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 2,098 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 2,098 | Roger1, You will also need to use a puller to remove the pitman arm. Fred
1956 3100 Pickup/Red/350/3sp OD/PS/Disc Brakes 1957 Bel Air Sport Coupe/Red/355/TH350/PS/Disc Brakes 2017 Silverado LT Single Cab SB/Black/5.3/6 Speed Trans 1947 Willys CJ2A w/F-Head engine
| | | | | Joined: Jul 2006 Posts: 482 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2006 Posts: 482 | I'll pass on an old trick an old boy from Tennessee taught me many years ago. I was fixin' to pull the steering wheel off a White Freightliner when he grabbed two hammers out of his toolbox. After removing the steering wheel nut he placed a ball peen hammer on the shaft and told me to pull up on the wheel. He then struck the peen end of the ball peen with the other hammer, shocking the shaft whilst I was exerting upward pressure on the wheel. It popped right off and I've used that trick many times on many vehicles. I told him that it's dangerous to bang two hammer heads together because they are tempered and can shatter, sending pieces flying dangerously about. He told me that the peen end of the ball peen isn't tempered so it's okay. Don't know if I believed him so I always use a brass hammer to strike with. Then there's always a wheel puller... | | |
| |
| |