The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Phak1, Gdads51, kades51), 82 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,093
Posts1,056,475
Members48,444
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#219461 11/10/2006 9:16 PM
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 28
S
Junior Member
Junior Member
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 28
I just got done with the back part of my 1953 3100 1/2 frame with the bed off .It's semi-gloss and looks great. I also put it under the dash to make sure we dont get any rust before I sound proof the cab. That stuff goes a long way. Well have a good one....Today is Sponge Bob day....."The best day ever" as per my son.
grin


Sean


Never Let Them Go
#219462 11/11/2006 12:39 AM
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 355
I
Member
Member
I Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 355
Sean, you forgot one important part with the por-15, dont get it anything you dont want painted, including your self. It dont come off easily and on your skin you have to wear it off. This lesson was learned the hard way.


Jeff
1947 Chevy 6400 2-ton
In the Gallery
1953 3/4-ton
In the Gallery
It was fun while it lasted
#219463 11/11/2006 2:06 AM
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 4
D
Junior Member
Junior Member
D Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 4
Iowa Trucks 59 how would you know ???
Dennis


Dennis
#219464 11/11/2006 2:24 AM
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
Also (and I've said this before) if you spray it, make sure to wear a respirator. Not the cheapie dust mask type, you'll at least need a charcoal filter type. Or better yet, a fresh air type hood. Getting it in your lungs is really bad.


Bill Burmeister
#219465 11/11/2006 2:35 AM
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 28
S
Junior Member
Junior Member
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 28
this stuff is tough stuff.....i am brushing it on the outer rails and spraying it on the hard to get spots. but what a great job it does...prep,prep,prep...and it works like a champ...and just brushing it on i did not wear any respirator at first...then I was getting a buzz...so now I am....and I doNt SEe anNy SiDE Affectz YEt.

Sean


Never Let Them Go
#219466 11/11/2006 2:42 AM
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 355
I
Member
Member
I Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 355
Well Dennis, its like this,,someone kept painting spots for me to get into.


Hey everyone, Dennis is the other half of this team, and this is his first post ever on the bolt!!


Jeff
1947 Chevy 6400 2-ton
In the Gallery
1953 3/4-ton
In the Gallery
It was fun while it lasted
#219467 11/11/2006 6:06 AM
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,444
Moderator - The Electrical Bay
Moderator - The Electrical Bay
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,444
welcome to the 'bolt D&J....

I used POR-15 under my 39's cab and frame rails... still looks great after 6 years...


Another quality post.
Real Trucks Rattle
HELP! The Paranoids are after me!
#219468 11/11/2006 4:57 PM
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 38
R
Junior Member
Junior Member
R Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 38
Hey Guys, I understand that you can top coat POR-15 with what ever you want or just leave it as it is. Did you all use it as your finish coat?

Rezman


Snapoff brand tools
..................................
1948 Chevy 6400
1949 Chevy 4400 (parts truck)
#219469 11/11/2006 5:47 PM
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 128
L
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
L Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 128
Rezman, just remember that POR-15 is photo-sensitive. If you leave the coated piece in sunlight it will start looking milky.... it won't affect the protective features but won't look purely black. POR-15 suggests using their TopCoat over the top, I've also seen people use regular paint over it while it's still tacky.

Lee


-----------
1965 Chevy C-10 Gallery page
My Chevy truck pages more info and pictures!
1961 Studebaker Hawk
1962 Shasta 16' AirFlyte Travel Trailer
1941 Case Model S tractor
#219470 11/12/2006 3:46 AM
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
If it's left to completely dry, they suggest using their Tie Coat primer. It's made to work with POR 15 as a base. It's pretty good on it's own, too.


Bill Burmeister
#219471 11/12/2006 5:06 AM
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 355
I
Member
Member
I Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 355
We paint part of an inner fender, with some left over por-15. It accidently got left outside for a couple weeks in the sun. It turned a lite white color, that rubbed off on your hands. The can says not to let it be exposed to sunlite, and to top coat it, by sanding with 600 grit paper, and using there paint. The top coat in a lot duller black than the por-15. This stuff is tough. I've heated part for bolt removal, when i missed a broken one. The torch didnt even phase the por-15. Niether did my sand blaster. The only thing that takes it off well is the angle grinder.


Jeff
1947 Chevy 6400 2-ton
In the Gallery
1953 3/4-ton
In the Gallery
It was fun while it lasted

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0