| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,115 Posts1,056,289 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 66 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 66 | Does the dash in a 2nd series '55 Pickup come out? Is it just bolted in or is it a part of the cab? Is it a big deal to remove it? I want to get one out of the local junk yard to replace mine that has a big radio hole cut in it. | | | | | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 | I think it's spot welded. red58 answered a similar question a while back in the Interiors forum, might check there for the whole answer on removing it.
Bill Burmeister | | | | | Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 113 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 113 | apbmalibu,
I asked the same question a little while ago.
According to the Factory Assembly Manual (which I just received), there are 34 spotwelds along the front edge just behind the windshield. There are also numerous welds behind the dash to support brackets.
Would it be easier for you to weld in a patch panel (available from LMC, Chevy Duty, etc....) in, rather than remove the entire dash?
I'll probably end up replacing the entire thing because my '57 GMC cab is in much better shape than my '59 Chev. I'd like to complete it as a Chevy (parts are MUCH easier to find).
Good Luck!
Photo | | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | you can get good radio area patch panels from the repro places, only $70 at Carter - much easier than replacing the whole thing - problem with replacing the dash, aside from all the work drilling out the welds and futzing with the brace that positions and secures the steering column, is the pinch welds actually make up the flange that mounts the windshield rubber, and not easy to get back just right - the windshields are picky enuff fitting without modifying the surround but yeah, can be done if you really can't patch the damaged area, but get yerself a good spotweld drill Bill | | | | | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 66 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 66 | Thanks guys. I think I'll just cut the radio area out of the dash at the yard. | | |
| |
| |