The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (KEVINSKI, Dennys28), 96 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,134
Posts1,056,402
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 2
D
Junior Member
Junior Member
D Offline
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 2
Does anyone out there have practical knowledge of the late integral head as far as how it flows and combustion chamber size etc. I am thinking of putting one on the 292 I am putting in my 36 1 1/2 ton. I want the dual throat carb and dual exhaust. Any thing to be gained over the stock 292 setup other than a nice sound?

Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 45
T
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
T Offline
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 45
All I remember about those is that we replaced them with an earlier head and manifold setup whenever on came in with problem,they seemed to crack frequently in heavy usage in delivery vehicles and at the highway department garage I used to work at.Even the 250's in pickups had their share.Stick with an older head and run an aftermarket manifold and header. wink

Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,897
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,897
I agree with Thermodyne. Those heads were a major pain in the behind. replace it with an earlier type set-up.


There is enough good in the worst of us and enough bad in the best of us that it does not behoove any of us to criticize the rest of us.
-
-
Be yourself. If you are ever lost, It will be much easier to find yourself if you know who you are!
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 206
S
Member
Member
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 206
There are a lot of differences in accessory mounting between the two heads and probably in water pumps as well. These heads do have a bad reputuation for cracking, but GM had finally gotten around to doing some flow bench testing with this head, and incorporated some lump porting to enhance the flow characteristics. If you can find an integral head in decent condition, and get around the accessory mounting issues, it might make an OK setup. But the typical installation goes the opposite way, guys dump the integral heads and go to the earlier version so they can use headers, four barrel intakes etc.
Over at the Inliners site we have a project going to list all the late heads at head index
Our sources don't list an integral head for the 292 but it's still a work in progress and we may have missed a source. It may help you some.

Jack
www.inliners.org

Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 384
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 384
Dennis--

I never used the intregal head. Conventional wisdom ,as indicated here, is that the head is prone to cracking. I did have a 71 C-10 with the 250 earlier head and seperate manifold. I had problems with manifold warpage even with that rig. Twice, I had to replace the exhaust manifold due to cracking or severe warping of the manifold. frown Finding those manifolds aint easy either--many are warped or cracked and most of the junkyard inline sixes in my part of the country are being wholesaled to Mexico. Gud luk--I wud opt for the seperate manifold.


Buzz'n Half Dozen

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0