The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Otto Skorzeny, Gdads51, Hotrod Lincoln, 1 invisible), 93 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,354
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 162
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 162
I havn't posted in a while as I've been working on my satellite and 46 ford.

I went to the Springfield swap looking for stuff for them and instead scored the following.

I got a complete 235 from carb to bell housing. It does need a starter, flywheel, and clutch. The man who had it was from my hometown and my friend knew him and said he was very honest. He said he took it out of a 57 truck for a guy who went to a lt1 and it ran just fine.

I also got a gas tank with sending unit for $40.00. When I got home I took the sender out and the tank and sender look brand new!

So it looks like it's time to work on my 53 after all of these years.

Does anyone know if a 58 car 235 radiator will fit and work with my truck?

Does a small block flywheel and clutch fit on a 235?

Anyway I'm pretty excited to have the puzzle pieces I needed for my old truck.

Tim


53 3100
1929 Ford Roadster Pickup
1934 Ford Pickup
68 Plymouth Satellite RR Clone 2 Door
My Fleet
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The radiator will be too wide.

The V8 flywheel will probably not bolt to your 235 crankshaft. If it does and fits in the 235 bellhousing then it may work. The clutch then would also work if it matches the flywheel.

If not I may still have a 235 flywheel in the parts pile. Send me a PM if you are interested.

Swap meets are great fun. Congrats on your new treasures.

Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 162
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 162
Thanks Houston54,

I stopped by my parts stash at Dad's and found 2 foot starters and a generator. As well as a 4 speed shifter. Now if I could find a 4 speed for the closed driveline close to home.

I also remember that I have a front motor mount for a small block chevy that uses the front mounts on the small block. I think that the 235 mounts will fit right onto this piece. I may have radiator issues but can overcome that.

I need to go get the motor and double check exactly what it is.

Thanks,

Tim


53 3100
1929 Ford Roadster Pickup
1934 Ford Pickup
68 Plymouth Satellite RR Clone 2 Door
My Fleet
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 469
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 469
Hey Bessie I was about 15 min late getting that motor so I had to buy the blue one on top of the hill. If you still have the old motor in the 53 just use the front mount from it you may have to drill holes in the mount under the balancer. Also if I'm thinking right you will need the 48-54 style bell housing as the mounts are different.

Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 162
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 162
ttodd,

I'd do that cept for one thing....the motors long gone. I even went by a transmission shop today that has had a 216 sitting out front for months and guess what......he threw it away!

Tim


53 3100
1929 Ford Roadster Pickup
1934 Ford Pickup
68 Plymouth Satellite RR Clone 2 Door
My Fleet
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 623
"MONGO"
"MONGO"
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 623
bessie: You can drill the front mount, if your carefull without removing it from the engine. Here's a template I made to drill the 58 car motor in my 53. http://www.mongosgarage.com/tech/235mount.htm

You don't want to use the car radiator, get a truck one, they can be had from any of the parts houses for not bad money.

The V8 Stuff won't work with your motor.

Saw that motor too, it looked to be a good one. ttod and I were just too slow.

Mongo


Mongo's Garage
Vintage GM Truck's & Parts
https://mongosgarage.com
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 162
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 162
Thanks Mongo. That looks like what I needed.

Tim


53 3100
1929 Ford Roadster Pickup
1934 Ford Pickup
68 Plymouth Satellite RR Clone 2 Door
My Fleet
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 56
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 56
I went to the Swap meet in Springfield also. Friday I spent seems like half the day in a pavilion watching it rain. did find a lead on a canopy express while there though!

I ended up Friday buying some door rubber for my 53 3800.

Saturday I tried to get my grandsons to go with me, but they just like to ride in the bus, not walk.

I saw a lot of 235 motors, at least five. One was out of a 59 and it was by the fence, the others were in the shady area.

I did see a 1948 CJ that was really interesting, right price, $1500, and not insurmountable rust. Only problem was no title. It had 1979 Missouri tags on it, and the owner told me it was not a problem to get out of state tags and then title it in Missouri. Probably cost about $150, which he'd knock off the price.

I passed, buying something without a title, unless for parts, spooks me.

My 1954 3800 is at a mechanic's house right close by the fairgrounds, I stopped by there to check the progress on the new motor. Not much is happening there, he's had it over a year. He's slow but good.

One of the local politicans is using my bus to distribute school supplies to the schools in the legislative district.

I think I got my Crown Cargo Coach sold, but if anybody is interested in it, send me an email.

It was a very nice swap meet and I hope to have a spot there next year, have a bunch of 54 3800 parts for sale.

Jim


Here is a link to some stuff about my brothers and I
http://bus-plunge.blogspot.com/search?q=hemmings
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 627
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 627
Jim - You are in AD heaven! It's nice to know you can still connect to the site up there.


Mike Barnes
1950 GMC 1-ton pickup

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0