The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
8 members (mick53, 55shaker, Peggy M, Gdads51, Hanks custodian, MickeyP, homer52, 1 invisible), 102 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,137
Members48,435
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#21379 04/05/2003 6:52 PM
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 115
J
Member
Member
J Offline
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 115
I'm about to order a Vintage Air AC system for my '52, and I was talking to John there about radiators. They want over $550 eek eek for their radiator suitable for a V-8. The usual cast of vendors seems to want in the $275-$300 range for their "heavy duty" or "desert cooler" radiator for V-8.

Anybody know anything about the radiator VA sells? Can it really be enough better to be worth that much more?

Thanks for any info.

Joe

Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 22
1
Member
Member
1 Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 22
VA sells a rad with an aux condenser built in that is why you are paying more price the regular recored rad and add to it, the condenser as a separate item.

Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 115
J
Member
Member
J Offline
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 115
No...I asked about that. The $550 price was for the radiator only. The condenser is separate, and comes with the AC kit.

Joe

Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,377
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,377
Check with your local radiator shops,I had a four row made for my 37 for around 250 dollars using my original tanks and brackets. Its been about five years ago so the prices have probably went up but you should have good shops that cater to hotrodders out your way. Jeff

Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 115
J
Member
Member
J Offline
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 115
I thought about that, and took the truck by the radiator shop before I started the mods. The radiator guy was nervous about the condition of my top tank...didn't think it would hold up under 15 psi.

Joe

Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,377
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,377
Try finding a radiator out of a cabover,they are alot bigger than the regular pickup radiators. The one I had in a 51 3/4 ton beater was about 3 inches thick and had bigger tanks and it should be able to handle a V8. The only modification needed to install was a little trimming on the top of the core support or panel for hood latch for tank clearance. Dont have the radiator anymore sold it last summer. Jeff

#21385 04/07/2003 12:10 AM
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 427
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 427
I have had a 4 row desert cooler from Carter's in my truck for about 5 or 6 years now. I actually bought it for my '51 Suburban project because I was going to put in a small block and automatic and needed the tranny cooler but then ended up selling the Suburban before I got to the motor. I kept the radiator and put it in my '51 when I was having some over heating problems and had the original recored ($300) and the original is still up in Kook's attic.

Bottom line for me: Carter's 4 row is great and the price is right. Comes with the tranny cooler hookups and I liked what I got. I'm going to be putting that one in my '54 and FINALLY putting the original back in my '51 for the run to the ATHS nationals. Nothing like a little 800 miles shakedown cruise to see if it's going to overheat! grin


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0