The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (RLB), 59 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,113
Posts1,056,580
Members48,448
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#20894 01/15/2002 6:58 PM
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,897
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,897
In a few months I will be helping a friend install a 472 caddy engine and a TH400 tranny in a 71 chevy pick-up.
Does anyone know if this will bolt in?
I know there will be several items to be rearranged and fabricated.I just want to go into this project with a few extra brain-cells!
(I only have two,,,one in the middle and one circling the one in the middle saying"I work alone!,,,,,I work alone!)
Anyone willing to donate?
--------------------


There is enough good in the worst of us and enough bad in the best of us that it does not behoove any of us to criticize the rest of us.
-
-
Be yourself. If you are ever lost, It will be much easier to find yourself if you know who you are!
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 198
S
Member
Member
S Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 198
there are some guys that have done the 500 swaps over at coloradok5.com... you might want to ask this over there. (should be exactly the same)


May the force be with you - SoloWookie
solowookie.com
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 18
J
Member
Member
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 18
Shouldn't be too hard what engine/tranny are you replacing?


You only get one shot at life.
Better have a good aim!
Later Dudes
Joe
#20897 01/17/2002 12:59 PM
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 146
A
Member
Member
A Offline
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 146
Mechainiac, I know that some caddy engines have rear sump pans and some not. This the only problem, as I see it. Find an engine with a rear sump, or swap the pan in the one you have if it's not rear sump, and drop it right in there. This engine is smaller that a bigblock chevy. And if a BBC fits there, the caddy will also fit. Of course there are those little items that makes our miserable engine swappers life a lot easier, just research before hand the exaust manifold models available, the engine can be set back a li'l more(ain't the distributor up front, just like in a Buick??) check to see if more than one option in the water pump inlet like in small mopars, etc...


Alexandre Garcia
#20898 01/18/2002 12:15 AM
Joined: Apr 2000
Posts: 247
V
Member
Member
V Offline
Joined: Apr 2000
Posts: 247
The Cadillac mounts require that the motor mounts be moved forward a couple of inches on the frame. You will also have to swap oil pans, an Eldorado pan or a 425 pan will work. That's pretty much it. It isn't difficult at all. Go to this message board, you'll get more help than you need: http://members.boardhost.com/BadCad/.

Also, if you need any parts for this swap, Al at MTS can set you up (oilpan, etc). He hosts the message board. There is a link at the top of the message board that will send you there.

Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,897
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,897
Thank you guys for the info and leads,, I will check them out.


There is enough good in the worst of us and enough bad in the best of us that it does not behoove any of us to criticize the rest of us.
-
-
Be yourself. If you are ever lost, It will be much easier to find yourself if you know who you are!
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,969
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,969
I wanted to revive this old topic out of curiosity mostly. I have been searching for info about Cadillac swaps and there is a lot out there. But so far I have found practically nothing on swaps with manual transmissions. I know way back there Caddy had stick-shift cars, and now there are some 5- and 6-speed cars, but for decades they were all automatics. I have a fantasy of putting a 500 Cadillac in my 50 3600 with an SM-420. Any takers? thanks :p


Professional Novice
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 613
Z
Member
Member
Z Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 613
for a 472/500 you can use a pontiac/olds/buick bellhousing.there are no factory flywheels,but mts makes one.you have to drill the crankshaft for a pilot bearing. www.500cid.com

Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,969
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,969
Thanks, Zenish for the link. smile


Professional Novice
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
Quote
I have a fantasy of putting a 500 Cadillac in my 50 3600 with an SM-420.
Sounds like a better fantasy than any I ever had. eek


Fred
52 3600
69 C-10

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0