The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Shaffer's1950, Bill Hanlon, Jon G), 125 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,139
Posts1,056,454
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#208338 05/23/2006 4:16 AM
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 241
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 241
I’ve been having a difficult time getting my carburetor’s air/fuel mixture just right. I tend to set it too rich.

I would like to use a vacuum gauge but I’m not sure how to hook it up once I buy one.

There is an intake port just below the carburetor on my 235. (see the first link below, lower left after the PCV). Should I use this port?

http://i4.tinypic.com/10furl5.jpg

http://i4.tinypic.com/10fuxz5.jpg


What is an optimum reading on a vacuum gauge for the carb mixture?

Thanks for your help.

Mark


1956 Chevy 3200, 1/2 Ton, 235 CI
https://photos.app.goo.gl/TQQo1YnFjs3U7xB57
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 50
S
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
S Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 50
I have a vacuum gauge installed on the dash of my '59. I used the same port on the intake manifold where the vacuum windshield wipers got their vacuum.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11159813@N00/151949993/

When using a vacuum gauge you want a reading from a place in the intake manifold where you will get a good average reading from all of the cylinders. You could easily hook up a temporary gauge in this location.

On a stock engine you should have a constant reading somewhere between 18-21 in. Hg. at idle. If the carb. is adjusted properly the needle will not move at all. If the mixture is rich or lean there will be an irregular drop in the reading. A vacuum gauge can help solve other problems as well.

Here is a web site that might help you out also.

http://www.classictruckshop.com/clubs/earlyburbs/projects/vac/uum.htm

Good Luck


Adam
stovebolt2355
http://www.stovebolt2355.com
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 241
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 241
I picked up a gauge on the way home. I don't have the vacuum windshield wipers like your truck but I see the correct port.

Thanks again for the info. and link.

Mark


1956 Chevy 3200, 1/2 Ton, 235 CI
https://photos.app.goo.gl/TQQo1YnFjs3U7xB57

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0