| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
8 members (Otto Skorzeny, Wally / Montana, Jeff Ogden, Peggy M, amtrakjoe, moparguy, mvigo, walter74),
83
guests, and
4
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,130 Posts1,056,702 Members48,454 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 24 Apprentice | | Apprentice Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 24 | I need to tighten up my manual steering box. It's on a 58 Apache. I've never done this before. I have a basic understanding of the procedure from my shop manual, but need to know two things: 1) are the wheels on the ground or is the front end on jack stands when I tighten the box, and 2) what tool do I use to loosen/tighten the Worm BearingAdjuster Lock Nut?
Thanks
I'll round off that bolt head....just as soon as I'm done strippin' this screw!
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 24 Apprentice | | Apprentice Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 24 | Answered my own question.
OK, if anyone else needs to know you will need a 2 and 1/4" hex socket, to turn the Worm Bering Adjuster Lock Nut. You can get one at Sears....(God I love Sears)...Also, It does not matter what you do with the wheels being on the ground or not once you disconnect the sector shaft from the pitman arm. Of course if you jack up the truck you will have more room to work...but I'm skinny..Oh, ya you will need a pitman arm puller...I'm not sure how to put the pitman arm back on yet. I'll let you know when I fugure it out.
I'll round off that bolt head....just as soon as I'm done strippin' this screw!
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 6,100 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 6,100 | Hy Lucky Strike, once you have finished your adjustments center the steering box, then put the wheels in the straight ahead position, now reinstall the pitman arm. Hope that helps. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 24 Apprentice | | Apprentice Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 24 | Thanks 3B I kinda thought I needed to do something like that. I obviously have not messed with a steering box before.
I was told by somone that I should plan on replacing the sector shaft bushings while I'm at it....I duno' maybe I should try to rebuild the box...or do you think I can get away with tightening it up and putting in new sector shaft berings? I even got the part number for the berings, which apparently you can still get at the Chevy parts counter.
I'll round off that bolt head....just as soon as I'm done strippin' this screw!
| | |
| |
| |