Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,101 Posts1,056,339 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 363 Member | | Member Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 363 | I finished swapping the 1985 SM465 granny 4 speed into my 39 1.5 ton finally. What a difference!!! Still find myself double clutching out of habit. Just wanted to let everyone know that the adapter Buffalo Enterprises made me for a paltry $137 including shipping fits like a glove and made it a simple installation. For any of you swapping a later trans in your pre 47 truck I absolutely recommend contacting him about one of these. He makes a T5 adapter, so you can leave your original bellhousing with pedal mounts in place. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 170 Member | | Member Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 170 | I'd like to hear more details of the tranny swap. Got any photos you could post?
Thanks, steve | | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 345 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 345 | 4.3 Congratulations! It's probably a good idea to continue to double clutch. It saves the tranny. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 363 Member | | Member Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 363 | I did not take any pics, but I could take some of it already installed if you like. On my truck it is a simple swap since it is already an open driveline on a 1.5 ton. All I had to do was put the late to early adapter in place, put the transmission in place, shorten the intermediate driveshaft to the carrier bearing and cut a bigger hole in the floor for the shifter.
Any specific questions? | | | | | Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 170 Member | | Member Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 170 | Well lets see... What motor is in your 1.5 ton?
Did you use the stock bellhousing? what about the clutch - stock also?
Was the length of the input shaft Ok when using the adapter?
How thick is the adapter?
Does the shifter clear the seat OK?
A photo of the trans/adapter/bellhousing would be interesting to see if you can take one.
Thanks, Steve | | | | | Joined: Apr 2000 Posts: 179 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2000 Posts: 179 | Is this web page the same Buffalo Enterprises you dealt with? Buffalo Enterprises
Joe McNeel
http://mcneelnet.com/~jmcneel/59.html
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 363 Member | | Member Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 363 | Yes, Joe, that's the guy.
There is a 235 in my 1.5 ton. It uses the stock 39 bellhousing, stock 39 clutch, stock 39 pressure plate and stock 39 throwout bearing. A special input bushing was sent with the kit. Some have said the SM465 does not work with the stock clutch, but it does, same spline count (10) and input size (1 1/8").
You have 3 choices when it comes to the bellhousing setup and a later transmission. 1. use a 47-54 bellhousing and find another way to mount the pedals 2. use a 47-54 bellhousing and weld pedal mounts on (or order it from jim carter which buys them from buffalo enterprises) 3. use an adapter to bolt the transmission up to the stock bellhousing
I opted for #3 since my sm465 has a larger bellhousing index than the 47-54 bellhousing does and it seemed easier.
I sent my bearing retainer to buffalo enterprises. He cut the nose of my bearing retainer off and indexed my bearing retainer to the adapter. He puts a stock 37-46 bearing retainer on the adapter. The adapter bolts to the bellhousing with a set of countersunk sockethead screws on the top and the stock bolts on the bottom. My original bearing retainer went on my transmission with a set of countersunk sockethead screws and my transmission bolted to the adapter with 1/2 inch bolts. All hardware was supplied.
Buffalo sent a special input bushing that is about 3/8-1/2" longer to make up for the plate. There is no problem with the length of the input shaft. The adapter is about 1/2" thick.
The SM465 clears the stock battery box, but I do not think an SM420 would due to the bulge.
The ebrake handle bolts to the SM465 housing just like stock.
I had to cut a bigger hole in the floor to clear the shifter tower. The shifter is moved back about 3 inches and to the left a couple inches. The shifter cleared fine, but I did heat it and bend it to the right a little give myself some more knee room.
If you are not familiar with Buffalo Enterprises, do a search in the archives or check at inliners. He makes good stuff. Not super fast, but quality parts. I knew he made automatic adapters and T5 adapters, so I called him and asked him to make this one.
Next time I am thinking I should have him make one for an NV4500.
A long long time ago there was some discussion about a similar adapter used to install a f*rd toploader overdrive or a mopar a833. I can't remember if it was Tony or Barry that had something to do with it. The f*rd OD toploaders out of mid 80s F150s are dirt cheap on ebay. If I get the half ton truck I am looking at, I'll ask him to make one for it, too.
I'll take a picture in the next day or two and post it.
Sorry for the length on this one. | | | | | Joined: May 2000 Posts: 424 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2000 Posts: 424 | It was Tony P. and a few others that put a 833 in AD trucks. I turned down the bearing retainer and fixed a spun bore in the case for Tony, but don't know if he used an adapter plate or anything. I remember he was real happy with the transmission, as it's a heavy duty OD made for full size truck use. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 170 Member | | Member Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 170 | Do I understand that you used 2 bearing retainers, the modified stock SM-465 retainer and a '37-'46 type?
You said the stock e-brake mounts to the sm-465. Where there holes already there for it? I didn't think a late trans like the 465 used a center mounted e-brake system.
I would be very interested in seeing some photos of your installation.
I'm thinking about changing the trans and rear end in my '40 1 ton. This sounds like a good set up.
Thanks, Steve | | | | | Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 363 Member | | Member Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 363 | Correct, the stock SM 465 bearing retainer had the snout cut off and was milled flat and drilled for countersunk bolts. A 37-46 bearing retainer was put on the front of the adapter. The input shaft fit just fine.
The holes for the e brake handle were on the right side of the trans. Maybe late big trucks (military) or industrial equipment that use that transmission have a floor mounted emergency brake or perhaps a PTO lever.
I didn't take any pics as I was too excited to get it in, but I have to pull it out to change the pressure plate and clutch, I will take pics then. What I thought was my crash box causing me to grind more often than I liked, is actually a worn out pressure plate.
If you read the T5 tech tip for ArtDeco trucks, the adapter is similar.
Also I have a US Gear OD/UD unit to go on the back, but I have to figure out some clearance issues first. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 170 Member | | Member Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 170 | Do you know what vehicle your SM-465 came from? I wonder if only certain applications had the e-brake mount holes or if they all did.
I look forward to your photos.
Thanks, steve | | |
| |