Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,110 Posts1,056,257 Members48,437 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jan 2006 Posts: 205 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2006 Posts: 205 | Well now that the cab and frame on my 48 5 window 1/2 ton short box is going to be lengthened 9", frame is being lengthened to accomidate the original size box. Which Dan custom made and is unbelievable. Better than original.
Dan from Youngs Hotrods and Fabricating in Adams Minn. He wants to tilt the front windshield back around 3" more than factory. At the same time we are thinking about shaving the drip rail off.
I trust your opinions and would like to here what you think about the front windshield and drip rails.
Thanks
Tom
If your looking for an awesome fabricator at a reasonable price call Dan,507-582-3232'
48 Chevy 3100 Shortbox 5 window "The Big Dog"
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 70 Member | | Member Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 70 |
bill
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2006 Posts: 205 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2006 Posts: 205 | Does anybody have any pictures of one tipped? Tom
48 Chevy 3100 Shortbox 5 window "The Big Dog"
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 738 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 738 | I would go for it, that would look cool.
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - George S. Patton My Machine | | | | | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 2,031 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 2,031 | it LOOKS to me like the door and associated roof are wider/stretched. It does NOT look like just the window is tilted back more
must be funny computer stuff
Jim & Caroline The highway is for gamblers, better use your good sense." Gooday-that's my 1¢ answer due to the lousy economy ~ cause I ain't got - no . mo . doe Every Shaver | Now Can Snore | Six More Minutes | Than Before ... | Half A Pound for Half a Dollar | Spread On Thin | Above the Collar || BURMA-SHAVE
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 1,029 Member | | Member Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 1,029 | A protractor shows that the difference in the angle between the front of the windows in the two pictures WOULD be between two and three inches of additional slope in the upper picture. | | | | | Joined: Apr 2001 Posts: 439 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2001 Posts: 439 | I shaved the drip rails on my truck, just make sure your doors are well aligned. As for the w/s, would be different. Good luck with the project. Colin | | | | | Joined: Jan 2006 Posts: 205 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2006 Posts: 205 | Truck 26 nice work, I had to look at it twice to notice the differance.
Now if we .could paint that truck, Colbalt blue candy with ghosts flames liok mine I would be real happy
48 Chevy 3100 Shortbox 5 window "The Big Dog"
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 1,682 Extreme Gabster | | Extreme Gabster Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 1,682 | I like drip rails.. they keep the water on the roof of the truck from running down on your head when you open the door.
Altho I suppose if you're gunna go thru all that hassle you'll probably not be in the rain, anyway.
It's your truck, my man.. do with it whatever YOU dig.. you're the one who has to drive it!
an idea is only stupid if you think about it rationally.
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2006 Posts: 205 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2006 Posts: 205 | Who drives their truck when it rains? This sounds anal but, I don't even ride or even think about riding my motorcycle if it is going to rain....
Alright that's too anal.................
Fumblin thanks
48 Chevy 3100 Shortbox 5 window "The Big Dog"
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 1,682 Extreme Gabster | | Extreme Gabster Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 1,682 | Yes, it does sound anal! I wouldn't ride a bike in the rain, unless I happened to get caught in the rain, then i'd ride to the nearest overpass or cover and wait it out.. but that's mostly because rain tends to make roads slick, and when you're riding on two skinny wheels at 55+ MPH it dosen't take much to biff. That, and I don't wear a full face shield when I ride a bike.. and raindrops hitting you in the face that fast don't tickle! But a truck has a roof and windshield wipers.. it's built to drive outside.. I can't imagine what harm getting it wet would do.. I mean.. how do you wash it?
an idea is only stupid if you think about it rationally.
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2006 Posts: 205 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2006 Posts: 205 | Who needs to wash it? It never gets dirty!! It doesn't get wet!!! HEHEHEHEHE
Tom
I don't wear a helmet either.
48 Chevy 3100 Shortbox 5 window "The Big Dog"
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 2,557 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 2,557 | have it dry cleaned,HA HA HA !!!! 1951 3100 Chevrolet1951 Chevrolet Suburban CarryallImage"A house is built with boards and beams. A home is built with love and dreams." "Look deep before you leap !!!" / "Everything is Everything" "If I say a mouse can pull a house, hitch him up"
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2006 Posts: 205 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2006 Posts: 205 |
48 Chevy 3100 Shortbox 5 window "The Big Dog"
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2004 Posts: 2,409 Former Workshop Owner | | Former Workshop Owner Joined: Nov 2004 Posts: 2,409 | Tomy2tone01 With all the other changes, deleting the drip edge would not even be an issue to me. When you are done you are going to have a custom ride, so it's whatever trips your trigger. I suspect that this is just the begining, and that there are many more modifications coming that you haven't even thought of yet. I would like to make one suggestion. When the truck is finished, I hope that all the changes you make, enhance the beauty of the original design, and not detract from it. In my view, to do something radical, like incorporate square headlights, add fins to the rear, or try something wild with the grill would be a big mistake. It would most likely reduce the value if you ever want, or need to sell it.
Have fun, and please keep us informed.
John
~ J Lucas 2006 GMC Envoy 4.2 I6 2023 Ram 2500/Cumins 6.7 I6 2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Wife’s) 2002 Silverado 2500 Gas 6.0 1941 Chevy 1/2-Ton 1942 Chevy 1.5-Ton SWBIn the Gallery My Flicker Photos! | | | | | Joined: Jan 2006 Posts: 205 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2006 Posts: 205 | Hi John I agree, The only mod I am going to make is roll pans front and back. That's all folks. I am using standard outside and inside door handles, updating gauges, lighting will be the same. Rear tail lights will be in the roll pan. Look at truck 26's post. That's close. Thanks for posting Tom
48 Chevy 3100 Shortbox 5 window "The Big Dog"
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2006 Posts: 205 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2006 Posts: 205 | Hi John I agree, The only mod I am going to make is roll pans front and back. That's all folks. I am using standard outside and inside door handles, updating gauges, lighting will be the same. Rear tail lights will be in the roll pan. Look at truck 26's post. That's close. Thanks for posting Tom
Square headlights ewwwwww
48 Chevy 3100 Shortbox 5 window "The Big Dog"
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 926 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 926 | Man,you guys that ride bikes don't want much,do ya.LOL! I know out on the left coast if you don't ride in the rain,you pretty much don't ride.I ride my bike unless the snow covers the lines-my tires need more tread,and drive my truck in any weather,the worse it is the better I like it. Back to the subject-for tilting the windshield,if it's done well,it'll be great. Shaving the drip rails-notice how the manufacturers do it and duplicate it. Looks like it's largely in the door gasket design to me. Speed | | | | | Joined: Jan 2006 Posts: 205 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2006 Posts: 205 | Now that's one bad [censored] limo.
I will have pictures of the truck on Monday.
Tom
48 Chevy 3100 Shortbox 5 window "The Big Dog"
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2005 Posts: 310 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2005 Posts: 310 | 48 Chevy 3100 Shortbox 5 window HELP THIS PROJECT NEEDS A NAME Once your done; SBT Slick Big Truck | | | | | Joined: Jan 2006 Posts: 205 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2006 Posts: 205 | I like that.
Is that like SBD Silent but deadly?
Tom
48 Chevy 3100 Shortbox 5 window "The Big Dog"
| | |
| |