The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (JW51), 181 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,100
Posts1,056,168
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#20526 04/02/2003 11:54 PM
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 962
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 962
Last night I put the bottom end back together on my 235. I installed a new oil pump, pickup, lines, and oil pan, reistalled steering and dropped car off jackstands. I had to massage the pan just a little bit to clear the '57-62 oil pump pickup, it now sits about 3/4" off the floor of the pan. Bottom of dipstick is about 1" above top of oil pump pickup.

I'm feeling good about the repairs, but upset that I had to perform major surgery only 125 miles into the engine's life.

Now for the top end. I'm using a new Mallory Electronic Ignition coil, the chrome one that fits the stock bracket on the side of the head. Its mounted right-side up, and when I pulled the wires and distributor, I noticed that oil was sitting in the coil wire socket in the coil. So I wiped it out. Well, when I looked at the coil last night, there was a little oil that showed back up in the coil socket.

Do I have a bad coil on top of all the rest of my problems?

Does it matter if the coil is mounted right side up or upside down? Does it affect cooling of the windings or anything? This coil doesn't require a ballast resistor for use with HEI.

Also, should I fill the motor with oil and check oil pressure now, or wait till I get a distributor?

Still haven't heard anything on the distributor.

chip


Preaching the Hot Rod Gospel according to the 4-stroke apostles:

Suck, Squish, Fire and Fumes
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
4
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
4 Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
It doesn't matter which way the coil is mounted. It was mounted upside down originally to make the connection between the coil and distributor short and clean, but the coil doesn't care. It's easier to access the terminals mounted right side up.


Paint & Body Shop moderator
A lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 234
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 234
If the coil is leaking, it will drip oil on your nicely painted engine if mounted upside down though. I don't think it should be leaking...

Not too expensive to replace, unless you're using 6V...

-Boyo


'48 Willys CJ-2A / '55.1 Chevy 3600 / '66 Austin-Healey 3000 / '04 Volvo wagon (parenthood!?)
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,897
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,897
Use a drill and a drive fixture of some type to turn the oil-pump. make sure you are getting good pressure smile


There is enough good in the worst of us and enough bad in the best of us that it does not behoove any of us to criticize the rest of us.
-
-
Be yourself. If you are ever lost, It will be much easier to find yourself if you know who you are!
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 230
V
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
V Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 230
Oil leaking is the first sign of impending coil failure .

Better swap it out now .


-Nate
There is no problem so difficult it cannot be overcome by generous application of brute force & ignorance

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0