Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,079 Posts1,056,296 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 11 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 11 | Hey
I have a tank from my 46 PU that I restored myself and I really want to use it. I soaked the thing in muriatic acid and soldered about 50 or so pinholes. I then coated it in some sort of magic gas tank sealer that I bought at a car show. It doesn't leak now and the inside of the tank is a nice white color. Will this work? I have invested a LOT of time in this thing but I won't use it if,for some reason,people who know better say I shouldn't
Thanks Rich | | | | | Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 364 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 364 | I'd be interested in the results others have had good or bad with this type of sealer. I just finished preping and coating the inside of my tank also. I got the $45 kit from Eastwood Co. The steps for the kit I got were as follows... -rinse out as much rust and debris as possible w/garden hose. -mix a batch of "metal wash" included in kit and slosh around in tank then rinse. -mix 1/2 gal. of muriatic acid and slosh around. -rinse twice with water. -pour in 1pt. "rust remover" included in kit and roll tank around. -dump out remover and pour in 1qt. acetone and slosh around (twice) -empty tank and pour in 1qt. of tank sealer and roll tank around to get uniform coating.
Looks pretty good now, anyone had good luck with this stuff. Ritchie, mine has a nice white coating too, sounds like about the same stuff.
Keith If it were easy they'd have grade schoolers doing it! | | | | | Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 275 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 275 | If doesnt leak why not. If you put it in and fill it up and it smells kinda gassie don't light up smoke while figuring out where the smells coming from.
If it leaks down the road then change to a different gas tank. My 2 cents
38 original 48 panel 59 stepside 46 in the back forty
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2006 Posts: 12 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Mar 2006 Posts: 12 | Test for leakage with actual gas before putting it in the truck, dont use anything that wont be in the tank constantly | | | | | Joined: Nov 2004 Posts: 2,414 Former Workshop Owner | | Former Workshop Owner Joined: Nov 2004 Posts: 2,414 | Ritchie, If you still have it out, I'd plug the line, put 3 or 4 gallons of gas in it, and let it sit at different angles, to check the sides for leaks. It sounds as though you went through a lot of extra effort to repair this to the best of your ability. I think it should be fine. The real question will be how long it will last. If it passes the leak test, I would install it and use it. If it does start to leak, you will know right away from the smell. (Your not a smoker are you?) You may want to test it with 5 or 6 gallons at first, and if it doesn't leak after a few days of driving, then fill it up. You may want to carry a couple gas cans and a funnel with you for the first week or so, just in case. Let us know if it works out.
John
~ J Lucas 2006 GMC Envoy 4.2 I6 2023 Ram 2500/Cumins 6.7 I6 2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Wife’s) 2002 Silverado 2500 Gas 6.0 1941 Chevy 1/2-Ton 1942 Chevy 1.5-Ton SWBIn the Gallery My Flicker Photos! | | | | | Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 990 Member | | Member Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 990 | I have used a similar product in motorcycle tanks called Kream and it always worked very well for me. Use that tank. | | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 641 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 641 | to be double sure it wont leak if its down to bare metal fiberglass the thin area where the pinholes were napa. makes a patch kit ive done it many times on tanks and they were rusted out they outlasted the cars they were in im talking 20 years on a rusted out tank with no inside sealer then paint it the glassed area wont show | | | | | Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 6,377 Ex Hall Monitor | | Ex Hall Monitor Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 6,377 | If you followed the instructions of the tank liner to the "T" you should have no problems. I've used Kreem with good results but I prefer Redkote. There is no reason that you should not be able to use your tank.
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet. The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion. Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
| | | | | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 2,031 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 2,031 | seal up all the holes and put it under 20 lbs of air for 24 hrs that should tell you if it will work after all your efforts
Jim & Caroline The highway is for gamblers, better use your good sense." Gooday-that's my 1¢ answer due to the lousy economy ~ cause I ain't got - no . mo . doe Every Shaver | Now Can Snore | Six More Minutes | Than Before ... | Half A Pound for Half a Dollar | Spread On Thin | Above the Collar || BURMA-SHAVE
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 11 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 11 | Hey
Thanks for the encouraging words. I think a test b4 installing is a good idea. I will plug it and try a few gallons in it to see if it works. Maybe I can pour it out and look to see if there is any crud.
Thanks guys Rich | | | | | Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 364 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 364 | Thanks everybody for the replies, no worries about it leaking in the cab, mine's mounted on the frame. 
Keith If it were easy they'd have grade schoolers doing it! | | | | | Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 248 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 248 | Hell with it...you've got this much invested...go for the gusto! Mount that baby up and fill 'er full of gas! Worst case you end up with a rapidly evaporating puddle in the drive, best case you get to use a piece of automotive history that you personally brought back to life. | | |
| |