The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Otto Skorzeny, CharlieF), 102 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,080
Posts1,056,294
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#204773 03/28/2006 1:08 AM
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 11
R
Junior Member
Junior Member
R Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 11
Hey

I have a tank from my 46 PU that I restored myself and I really want to use it. I soaked the thing in muriatic acid and soldered about 50 or so pinholes. I then coated it in some sort of magic gas tank sealer that I bought at a car show. It doesn't leak now and the inside of the tank is a nice white color. Will this work?
I have invested a LOT of time in this thing but I won't use it if,for some reason,people who know better say I shouldn't

Thanks
Rich

#204774 03/28/2006 1:57 AM
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 364
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 364
I'd be interested in the results others have had good or bad with this type of sealer. I just finished preping and coating the inside of my tank also. I got the $45 kit from Eastwood Co. The steps for the kit I got were as follows...
-rinse out as much rust and debris as possible
w/garden hose.
-mix a batch of "metal wash" included in kit and
slosh around in tank then rinse.
-mix 1/2 gal. of muriatic acid and slosh around.
-rinse twice with water.
-pour in 1pt. "rust remover" included in kit and
roll tank around.
-dump out remover and pour in 1qt. acetone and
slosh around (twice)
-empty tank and pour in 1qt. of tank sealer and
roll tank around to get uniform coating.

Looks pretty good now, anyone had good luck with this stuff. Ritchie, mine has a nice white coating too, sounds like about the same stuff.


Keith
If it were easy they'd have grade schoolers doing it!
#204775 03/28/2006 6:31 AM
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 275
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 275
If doesnt leak why not. If you put it in and fill it up and it smells kinda gassie don't light up smoke while figuring out where the smells coming from.

If it leaks down the road then change to a different gas tank.
My 2 cents


38 original
48 panel
59 stepside
46 in the back forty
#204776 03/28/2006 6:38 AM
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 12
M
Junior Member
Junior Member
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 12
Test for leakage with actual gas before putting it in the truck, dont use anything that wont be in the tank constantly

#204777 03/28/2006 6:38 AM
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,414
J
Former Workshop Owner
Former Workshop Owner
J Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,414
Ritchie, If you still have it out, I'd plug the line, put 3 or 4 gallons of gas in it, and let it sit at different angles, to check the sides for leaks. It sounds as though you went through a lot of extra effort to repair this to the best of your ability. I think it should be fine. The real question will be how long it will last.
If it passes the leak test, I would install it and use it. If it does start to leak, you will know right away from the smell.
(Your not a smoker are you?)
You may want to test it with 5 or 6 gallons at first, and if it doesn't leak after a few days of driving, then fill it up.
You may want to carry a couple gas cans and a funnel with you for the first week or so, just in case.
Let us know if it works out.

John


~ J Lucas
2006 GMC Envoy 4.2 I6
2023 Ram 2500/Cumins 6.7 I6
2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Wife’s)
2002 Silverado 2500 Gas 6.0
1941 Chevy 1/2-Ton
1942 Chevy 1.5-Ton SWB
In the Gallery
My Flicker Photos!
#204778 03/28/2006 7:43 AM
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 990
A
Member
Member
A Offline
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 990
I have used a similar product in motorcycle tanks called Kream and it always worked very well for me. Use that tank.

#204779 03/28/2006 9:04 AM
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 641
3
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
3 Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 641
to be double sure it wont leak if its down to bare metal fiberglass the thin area where the pinholes were napa. makes a patch kit ive done it many times on tanks and they were rusted out they outlasted the cars they were in im talking 20 years on a rusted out tank with no inside sealer then paint it the glassed area wont show

#204780 03/28/2006 6:04 PM
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
If you followed the instructions of the tank liner to the "T" you should have no problems. I've used Kreem with good results but I prefer Redkote. There is no reason that you should not be able to use your tank.


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
#204781 03/29/2006 12:51 AM
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,031
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,031
seal up all the holes and put it under 20 lbs of air for 24 hrs
that should tell you if it will work after all your efforts


Jim & Caroline
The highway is for gamblers, better use your good sense."
Gooday-that's my 1¢ answer due to the lousy economy ~ cause I ain't got - no . mo . doe

Every Shaver | Now Can Snore | Six More Minutes | Than Before ... | Half A Pound for Half a Dollar | Spread On Thin | Above the Collar || BURMA-SHAVE
#204782 03/29/2006 12:52 AM
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 11
R
Junior Member
Junior Member
R Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 11
Hey

Thanks for the encouraging words. I think a test b4 installing is a good idea. I will plug it and try a few gallons in it to see if it works. Maybe I can pour it out and look to see if there is any crud.

Thanks guys
Rich

#204783 03/30/2006 1:04 AM
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 364
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 364
Thanks everybody for the replies, no worries about it leaking in the cab, mine's mounted on the frame. grin


Keith
If it were easy they'd have grade schoolers doing it!
#204784 03/30/2006 3:26 AM
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 248
T
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
T Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 248
Hell with it...you've got this much invested...go for the gusto! Mount that baby up and fill 'er full of gas! Worst case you end up with a rapidly evaporating puddle in the drive, best case you get to use a piece of automotive history that you personally brought back to life.


Daily Driver 63 C-10 LWB Fleetside

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0