The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (Gdads51, 3B, 32Fordpuchoptop, Bill Hanlon, Otto Skorzeny, Joe H), 166 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,110
Posts1,056,246
Members48,437
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#203326 03/10/2006 2:29 AM
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 101
R
Member
Member
R Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 101
I have a nova (disk brakes)front clip on my 55. When I put the brakes on they dont seam to release all the way. If fact you cant even turn the roter by hand. What do you guys think the problem could be.


Roger
http://www.flickr.com/photos/45469713@N00/?saved=1
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 355
I
Member
Member
I Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 355
My first quess is that the caliper is corroaded on the outside and dont retract when the pressure is released. My second would be that the slides(where the bolts go though) might be doing the same thing. Take it aparts and see if you got any rust in those areas.


Jeff
1947 Chevy 6400 2-ton
In the Gallery
1953 3/4-ton
In the Gallery
It was fun while it lasted
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,756
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,756
I agree with Jeff, most likely a rusty caliper but the mounting bolts might make it sieze.
It is the piston in the caliper that freezes

Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 424
O
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
O Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 424
I'm no brake expert, but could this have something to do with a residual pressure valve? The valves are sometimes inside the master cylinder and sometimes external. The normal pressure valve is 2 psi for disks and 10 psi for drums. I'm not sure if the wrong one would cause this condition or not. Probably not, now that I think about it. 10 psi doesn't amount to much. Just thinking out loud and trying to consider other causes. The posts above make more sense and would be the first thing I would check.


Mike
------
1958 Chevy 3200 Fleetside
1958 GMC 100 Wideside
------
Did you get free advice today? To donate to this site using PayPal is fast and EZ. Click here: http://www.stovebolt.com/office/thanks.html
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 101
R
Member
Member
R Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 101
I took that caliper off the truck. I then used my compressor to push the piston out. I used a brake tool to push the piston back. Could it hurt anything to completly push the piston out cause I did. I was able to push it back in the caliper which was not easy. I will take the brakes off over the weekend and try again!


Roger
http://www.flickr.com/photos/45469713@N00/?saved=1
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
Years ago on my 75 Camaro, I had the booster and master cylinder replaced by the dealership in town. I picked it up after, drove the 1/2 mile home and you could smell the glue on the front pads. The front discs were not releasing. I took it back and it was an incorrectly adjusted master cylinder linkage that was the problem. The rear drum brakes were not affected by this incident.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
#203332 03/10/2006 10:06 PM
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 101
R
Member
Member
R Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 101
The truck was sitting for 9 yrs so I am working out all the kinks. This is one of the kinks!
I may just purchase some new calipers they are not that expensive. Another kink is that the P/O moved the brake booster under that cab but welded a piece of metal over the only place where you could of added fluid to the reservoir. I have about 3/4 of an inch between the reservoir and the floor board of the truck.


Roger
http://www.flickr.com/photos/45469713@N00/?saved=1
#203333 03/10/2006 11:01 PM
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
It may be your front brake hoses. They swell up inside & the fluid cannot flow back.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0