The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (David Bush, IHPWR, Gdads51), 127 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,142
Posts1,056,472
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#20228 02/06/2002 9:06 PM
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 17
K
Apprentice
Apprentice
K Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 17
What is the best transmission fluid to use in the Hydramatic 303M 4 speed automatic transmission used in a 1956 GMC M-220 Duce and 1/2 6X6. The plat on the truck shows to use OE 10 for below 32 Deg. F operation and OE 30 for above 32 Deg. F operaiton. These are old designations for 10 and 30 WT Non- Detergent motor oil. I have also heard that people are using Dextron III Transmission Fluid. Many of the tractors and some of the automatic transmission trucks are using Trans Hydralic fluid. I looking for the best alternative where I wont have to change oil in the transmission if I use the truck in winter. Please reply or give me a contact that could help me with this.


Kenneth L. Hollingsworth
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 85
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 85
I really don't know aboout your truck, i never heard of Motor Oil in an Automatic. I have a Hydramatic in my 59 Cad, and it is supposed to have type "a" fluid. I use,and have been using Dexron for 12 years w/o a problem..

ATF is amazing stuff nowadays. It comes as the factory fill in Standard transmissions in lots of cars. I think you could use Dexron. Just my 2 cents.


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0